What's new

Person of Interest - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Enrico Colantoni is always good. I wonder how he can recur with Flashpoint, but I can't keep up with what that show is doing in the US. I enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it in a long time (though, it was recently running).
Very GTA IV-ish episode with the Brighton Beach elevated train location and the big projects building.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am still really enjoying this program. Sometimes I can spot these types of setups but in this case I was fooled. Of course, Colantoni's rapport with one of this students at the housing project helps sell the role of him as concerned teacher which makes the twist even more effective. Using the kids to get to the parents - somewhat sinister.
I think that Enrico Colantoni is an interesting casting choice for Elias. Just checked IMDB to see if he will be cast in additional episodes this season, but his credits are not updated with Person of Interest at the moment. As much as I enjoyed the scenes with Finch and Fusco, I was a little surprised that someone with Finch's privacy issues would reveal himself to Fusco. Another solid episode of what quickly has become my favorite new show of the 2011-2012 TV season.
- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Josh, totally right about Elias being more of a Lex Luthor type. I was forcing the Batman parallels a bit. There's something about a calm, level-headed stone cold psychopath that's way more terrifying than a maniacally laughing lunatic anyway.
Walter Kittel said:
As much as I enjoyed the scenes with Finch and Fusco, I was a little surprised that someone with Finch's privacy issues would reveal himself to Fusco.
One thing I liked was the idea that while Elias is marshaling his forces to take over New York's underworld, Reese and Finch are slowly marshaling their forces as well. On their side they've got a homicide cop, the teenage heiress of what will be a sizable real estate fortune, an important judge and a "fixer" with connections throughout the city. I'm really enjoying the show's theme that there's a karmic reinforcement to doing the right thing when you have the means and skills to do so.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/60#post_3867499
Enrico Colantoni is always good. I wonder how he can recur with Flashpoint, but I can't keep up with what that show is doing in the US. I enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it in a long time (though, it was recently running).
Very GTA IV-ish episode with the Brighton Beach elevated train location and the big projects building.
CBS ran episodes this summer that were new to the US but had already played in Canada. The show is now on Tuesday nights at 10 on ION. Unfortunately, my cable provider doesn't supply that channel, and I'm disappointed because Flashpoint is a show I really enjoy.

With Colantoni's work on Flashpoint and previously on Veronica Mars, both solid, upstanding roles, I was lured ever more easily into the trap that was set. (And of course, he will forever be able to break my heart in Galaxy Quest.)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I think this last episode was probably originally written as a regular stand-alone save the victim episode. But when they started expanding the Elias subplot in the last few episodes this was a good way to fool the audience and introduce the master criminal. Notice how the Elias plotline in the recent shows also seems to have replaced the Reese/Finch back-story flashbacks. In three episodes, Elias went from a shadow figure, avenging his mother's death, to an unseen crime boss known to other gangs and the Organized Crime Task Force.
I hope Finch and Reese make short work of Elias by the end of the season. I prefer that the show stick to the "Person of Interest", and saving an innocent or stopping a criminal that is off the regular law enforcement radar. Leave the super-hero vs super-villian stuff to Batman.
I like this show. It's the first new show I have followed enthusiastically in years and after seven weeks, not a severed body part in sight, so far.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I liked the little in-joke in the episode. In the scene where Elias is talking to his student in the kids apartment. They discuss the kid is reading "Count of Monte Cristo". We then see a smile by Reese. Jim Caviezel played the Count of Monte Cristo in a movie a few years ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
I liked the little in-joke in the episode. In the scene where Elias is talking to his student in the kids apartment. They discuss the kid is reading "Count of Monte Cristo". We then see a smile by Reese. Jim Caviezel played the Count of Monte Cristo in a movie a few years ago.
It's also foreshadowing, because Elias's story is essentially Edmond Dantès's story: a man assumes aliases to gather information about the men who destroyed his family while he amasses a fortune with which to embark on a campaign of revenge.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Does anyone have any idea why CBS in the middle of sweeps airs reruns of some of its Thursday shows? What is the thinking behind this?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'd guess that CBS felt it was more important to run new episodes straight from its premiere and hopefully gain an audience rather than worry about sweeps. Next season, once they've got an established audience, I bet they'll skip a week or two in October and have 4 new episodes during November sweeps.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
One thing I liked was the idea that while Elias is marshaling his forces to take over New York's underworld, Reese and Finch are slowly marshaling their forces as well. On their side they've got a homicide cop, the teenage heiress of what will be a sizable real estate fortune, an important judge and a "fixer" with connections throughout the city. I'm really enjoying the show's theme that there's a karmic reinforcement to doing the right thing when you have the means and skills to do so.
I wonder when we'll see those other character reappear. Maybe the season finale?
I just saw last week's episode. I was also completely fooled by Elias. It was very well done.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't understand why this show is so under the radar. I mean, Michael Emerson and Jim Caviezel!!!! Who could ask for more? The most ambitious casting in years. I guess the subtle and understated work by both leads is too hard for some to appreciate.
The writing and plotting is good, and I can't wait for next week

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode tonight. Two episodes ago I noticed that they have the episode's "person of interest" in the opening intro sequence and this time I looked for it and saw him there.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
Interesting episode tonight. Two episodes ago I noticed that they have the episode's "person of interest" in the opening intro sequence and this time I looked for it and saw him there.
I picked up on that as well last episode. It's a nice little touch that adds to the paranoia.
Alan Dale put in a heck of a performance as a somewhat sympathetic perpetrator that never-the-less needed to be stopped. The procedural element is working like a well-oiled machine at this point. We're just beginning to delve into the mystery of these two gentleman, especially now that we know Reese is just another alias.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've not watched the last three episodes and I've deleted my season pass. (Revenge and Ringer beat out Person of Interest)

I'll be curious to hear how the show evolves, though. It might turn out great enough I will want to pick it up in reruns or on disc next year. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/60#post_3871859
I've not watched the last three episodes and I've deleted my season pass. (Revenge and Ringer beat out Person of Interest)

I'll be curious to hear how the show evolves, though. It might turn out great enough I will want to pick it up in reruns or on disc next year. :)
Funny, the last three episodes have been among the best for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/60#post_3871873
That's the risk. I stopped watching Glee and then you all say it's the best ever! :)
There is no risk, it's only television entertainment.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wonder sometimes whether I should drop a marginal (for me) show or not. In almost every case the 45 - 60 minutes could be spent in better pursuits if the show is only "okay" in your estimation. I very rarely regret dropping a show.
In terms of the topic of this thread - Person of Interest is still easily my favorite show of the new season. Having said that I did not like the sniper scene in last night's episode. One second Finch is all worried and the next he is giving Reese wind readings. Seemed contrived. Perhaps they were attempting to demonstrate Finch's adaptability. Yet in the same scene, I did like the dialog where Finch echoes his concerns about being in this situation and Reese basically echoes it back to Finch. Nicely done.
That minor point aside I did enjoy the episode for both the glimpse into what Reese might have become if he had taken Kohl's (Alan Dale) path, and his past. We knew that there was more than meets the eye in terms of Reese's back story and I'm glad to see the show begin exploring that story thread. Also a nice performance from Charles Widmore last night.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks