What's new

Perry Mason HBO Miniseries! Spoiler Alert Advisory (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like they're going back to the early novels as it takes place in LA circa 1932. Mason is a mess suffering from his experiences during WWI. Apparently, he's a PI and not a lawyer, perhaps he eventually becomes a lawyer later on. There is a black Paul Drake. I'll be watching this two part series just to see where it goes as I love period pieces and it has a great cast. It premieres on HBO and HBO Max June 21st.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty much on board when it was announced that Matthew Rhys was playing the lead. Definitely something I will be viewing.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never done Perry Mason anything before but I was intrigued by the trailer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've loved everything Matthew Rhys has done that I've seen, and I will look forward to this eventually (don't subscribe to HBO at present). Perry Mason has been a constant in my life from a very early age: first with the TV series, then catching up with the Warren William films, the Monte Markham reboot that didn't run long, and Burr's made-for-TV films. But this sounds really intriguing showing Perry's early years, so I hope it's successful.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'll check it out the next time there's a free HBO weekend. Love the original series and I've read a huge chuck of the books.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I've loved everything Matthew Rhys has done that I've seen, and I will look forward to this eventually (don't subscribe to HBO at present). Perry Mason has been a constant in my life from a very early age: first with the TV series, then catching up with the Warren William films, the Monte Markham reboot that didn't run long, and Burr's made-for-TV films. But this sounds really intriguing showing Perry's early years, so I hope it's successful.

How did you "catch up" with the Monte Markham episodes? I'd like to see those again. When I first heard of the HBO series years ago (with Robert Downey Jr. as Mason) I was hoping it would encourage Fox to release that series on DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How did you "catch up" with the Monte Markham episodes? I'd like to see those again. When I first heard of the HBO series years ago (with Robert Downey Jr. as Mason) I was hoping it would encourage Fox to release that series on DVD.
The catch-up was in reference to the Warren WIlliams movies done long before the Mason TV series. I saw the Monte Markham series when it was first broadcast and never again. I, too, would LOVE to see those episodes again.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Very strong premiere episode that sets a rather dark tone from the outset. Rhys was terrific in the lead, and channels some of the same weariness in the face of the world's darkness that we often saw in his role as Phillip in The Americans. The opening episode is set at Christmas of 1931 (not really a spoiler since the episode clearly identifies the time) and feels similar in some ways to HBO's previous series Boardwalk Empire set a decade earlier. Director Tim Van Patten directed a bit of that series and is on hand for the premiere of Perry Mason. The show features the typical, excellent production design, which is the norm for HBO productions.

Definitely recommended.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very strong premiere episode that sets a rather dark tone from the outset. Rhys was terrific in the lead, and channels some of the same weariness in the face of the world's darkness that we often saw in his role as Phillip in The Americans. The opening episode is set at Christmas of 1931 (not really a spoiler since the episode clearly identifies the time) and feels similar in some ways to HBO's previous series Boardwalk Empire set a decade earlier. Director Tim Van Patten directed a bit of that series and is on hand for the premiere of Perry Mason. The show features the typical, excellent production design, which is the norm for HBO productions.

Definitely recommended.

- Walter.
I watched the first episode on HBO Max this afternoon and I concur with your comments. However, I wasn't surprise by what happened.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode on HBO Max this afternoon and I concur with your comments. However, I wasn't surprise by what happened.

Considering exactly what the show presents to the viewer I don't feel like 'surprise' is the goal of the show, or at least this episode anyway. We know there are a lot of selfish, and self-motivated characters, and some frankly evil ones. The big question is how does Mason navigate this case and will he come out the other side unscathed, or perhaps better able to cope with the world. As per IMDB, there are eight episodes and I am really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Considering exactly what the show presents to the viewer I don't feel like 'surprise' is the goal of the show, or at least this episode anyway. We know there are a lot of selfish, and self-motivated characters, and some frankly evil ones. The big question is how does Mason navigate this case and will he come out the other side unscathed, or perhaps better able to cope with the world. Looking at IMDB, there are eight episodes and I am really looking forward to where this goes.

- Walter.
I hope surprise isn't the goal as I saw much of what happened a mile away.:laugh:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not currently subscribed to HBO, so I guess I will have to catch up with this on Blu-ray. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with Perry's early years.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Amazing look of the era, and a very dark or Noir approach. The end credits even had muted trumpets such as the opening theme of Noir Alley on TCM. Being a huge fan of Noir, I'm jazzed, but this ain't your momma's Perry Mason. Course, there was a very dark side to the original actor that portrayed him, as well.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Watched episode 1 this morning. The production values are high and I don’t mind the period setting. But, so far, I hate that this is about a PI that apparently lacks the ability to outwit his opponent. Either make him a lawyer or make him very clever (or both). So far, he feels like a stumbling loser and that is not the Perry Mason I know and love from the TV series.

HBO should have just called this ’Steve Smith’ or ‘Joe Johnson’ so expectations would be adjusted accordingly.

It is entertaining (though dark, but I love film noir). I will continue to watch (episode 2 this afternoon). But this isn’t Perry Mason to me. I don‘t give a sheet what the early books were about, I don’t read books because they spoil movies.

Big plus over TV series: Full frontal nudity, vigorous sex scenes, and profanity the way real people talk.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching the second episode, I'm now hooked big-time on this series. I look forward to where it leads me in the next six episodes.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks