What's new

Perry Mason Arithmetic (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Any idea why Volume 1 of the 26-episode third season has only twelve episodes? I know the second "half" is due in December, so I'll live, but CBS is getting very loose with these volumes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It *IS* 14, per the preliminary info that CBS/Paramount sent to retailers, which I posted at TVShowsOnDVD the other day.

Where did you hear "12"?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Season 3 Vol. 1 has 12 episodes on 3 DVDs
Season 3 Vol. 2 has 14 episodes on 4 DVDs.

Why not 13 for each? Cause then each set would have a 4th DVD to carry the extra episode. So they hold back to put two on the 4th disc in the second volume

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I know it's 12 because I have the set with me now. Corey's explanation is sort of what I assumed. I am just always disappointed when they put the majority of the shows in the second set, rather than the first. A minor complaint, though, as I am delighted that the seasons keep coming!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
More PM arithmetic:

S2V2 less 2 episodes plus $10 = S3V1

It’s been stated elsewhere on this forum that the pricing on this release is too high, and I agree. This is my “grail” show so I ponied up, but I don’t blame others for passing or waiting on a sale.

The episodes I’ve seen look quite good although it’s painfully obvious in places that the episodes are not progressively transferred the way S2 discs were. It also grates me that English subtitles are not offered. Both are reasonable expectations for a $50 MSRP release containing a dozen episodes IMO.

I had hoped that PM would at least make it through 5 or 6 seasons but after the backlash against S3 I wonder if S4 will ever get released.

Steve

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

You're right about the pricing, Steve. I've been one of the people that has mentioned this on the boards recently. My plan had been to wait for the DD sale in November (or perhaps a Black Friday Sale), but this week Barnes & Noble began a 40% Off Sale that included the latest "Perry Mason" dvd. That allowed me, with another 15% off coupon I found, to buy the set for $24.

I hope we continue to see this series released, but there's no doubt that CBS/P is hurting the sales with that ridiculous starting price point.

Gary "thankful for sales" O.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what "progressively transferred" means, but if the picture quality is not good, then it's a really bad thing. This is also my favorite show, but after The Fugitive debacle, and now bad quality and a ridiculous price for this small-episode-number set, CBS/Par is really on my hate list. I also watch shows with captioning on, and the exclusion of this feature is technically illegal, I believe.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Sylvia,

I believe Steve is referring to the DVD transfer being "interlaced" vs "progressive". There are some good 'net sites for reading about the technical aspects of both formats. This one's fairly good - here

As Steve would most likely agree, is that most of the CBS/P classic TV/DVD releases are of good transfer quality even if some are interlaced instead of progressive scan xfrs. Just imo but their (CBS/P) xfrs are among the best in the TV/DVD market. Of course, I wouldn't give them a good grade with the Fugitive S2V1 or split-season pricing :thumbsdown:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

It's surprising, especially for a show from the 50's, that they don't offer captioning on the disc. (My point being, this really does skew towards an older crowd.) I use the closed caption option on my TV and THAT works. It's kind of amusing to read some of the "sound" cues: "tense noir-ish jazz music plays"...

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the explanation, Jeff.

Yes, they are fun, and the fact that the show runs endlessly on TV with closed captioning makes this fact even more strange. And certainly this show skews older--I remember staying home on Saturday nights to watch it in first run.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Jeff. I agree with your comments.

To clarify a couple of points:

1. The PM transfers are very good. The interlaced nature of the picture may not be noticable to all viewers on all systems. I notice it more on motion sequences. From my understanding, it is a simple procedure to do a progressive transfer so not sure why it wasn't done.

2. The discs are closed captioned, but not subtitled. The difference is that captions don't transmit over a progressive scan player which are widely used today. Thus, captions do me no good.

Steve

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I doubt CBS/Paramount is pricing Perry Mason Season 3 with the idea of bringing new people to the series. More likely, they are pricing it for the core group of fans they know will pick it up no matter what. The higher price is probably an attempt to make up for those who will not.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod

Gee, that IS a good deal. The clerks at my local BN never let me use discount coupons on sale items.

They tell me they'll call Lt. Tragg if I try that again! :laugh:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Let Tragg arrest you...chances are you'll go free. The man had more false arrests than almost anyone in history.

One wonders why he was able to remain on the police force until he was 75 years old :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nesiancoco
Recent bookmarks