"Perry Mason" - anybody else wanting this released?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steve...O, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    For 9 seasons and 271 episodes, great writing and strong acting made this show a favorite of mine. It's been heavily syndicated, but even more heavily edited in syndication. Additionally, there are several episodes that have rarely been aired at all since the original run.

I realize the long run of this show presents a challenge, but does anybody else want to see this released? (I know Columbia House is selling PM on DVD for $10 per episode, but that's highway robbery pricing.)

I believe Paramount is the rights owner here. If this is too big a bite for them, perhaps licensing it out would make sense? The only extras I need to have are English subtitles and chapter stops that coincide with the credits and commercial breaks.

Steve

2. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

I vote yes for this release.

This is a little OT, but how many cases did Perry Mason lose?

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I believe it was one...

By the way, BRING ON THE PERRY MASON DVDs!!!

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Actually, Perry lost three cases during the run of the show. One was in the episode, "The Case of the Witless Witness," which actually begins with the decision being handed down against our hero. However, it is in a civil matter, not a murder case, and Perry goes on to defend the judge against murder charges and win. The second (and thanks to Trivial Pursuit, most well-known) verdict against one of Perry's clients is in "The Case of the Terrified Typist," which if memory serves is due to the defendant not being honest with his attorney. Later, Perry's client is found guilty of murder at the beginning of "The Case of the Deadly Verdict," and Mason et al. must work to overturn the decision.

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, yes, I would love to have Perry Mason season sets on DVD. I briefly considered subscribing to the Columbia House plan, but decided (a) I didn't want to wait the 11-plus years it would take to accumulate the entire series at 2 episodes per month and (b) I didn't have the money to add the extra room onto my house it would take to house that 135-disc collection.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    RobertCharlotte, you're right on the money. Most Mason fans forget about the "Witless Witness" civil matter.

"Deadly Verdict" is one of the best hours of dramatic television ever aired in my opinion. Very compelling episode.

The other strike against Columbia House is that they stopped the VHS series after 120 or so episodes so there's no way I'm going to invest over $1,000 in an incomplete series.

Let's hope Paramount, which is starting to do a fine job with other series, keeps the vaults open for this one.

Steve

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Since Perry Mason fans seem to be so passionate about their hero, this is probably beating a dead horse: The original series of books are awesome summer reading material! I usually finish them in a day or two, and it's fun to recognize television episodes that were based on the books. The team behind the show did a great job of bringing the characters to life, although the Perry/Della relationship was more pronounced in the books; reading the books now, I can see the actors in my mind quite vividly. The dialogue style that Erle Stanley Gardner used in the books was perfectly translated to the show, which really surprised me. Definitely worth a trip to the bookstore or library to check them out.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    File this under the "I'll believe it when I see it" folder, but apparently there's a rumor that's showed up several places including this one that a big screen version of Perry Mason is being considered with George Clooney (ugh) or Alec Baldwin (double ugh) candidates for the top role. Nothing against these two gentlemen personally, I just can't picture them in the title role. In all fairness, Raymond Burr's 36 year monopoly of this character presents a huge disadvantage for any actor attempting to succeed him.

If this ever does happen, perhaps the inevitable tie-in will get the TV show on DVD.

Steve

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Steve, you know I'm right there with you on wanting this show on dvd. I believe it is one of the most overlooked mystery/dramas of all time, even though it does have a nice following.

Gary "no question that Raymond Burr has a stranglehold on the character" O.

9. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

I love this show. When I was a child, I think it was on at 9pm, way past my bedtime. I told my parents that this would always be a show I loved and wanted to watch it with them. They said NO. So clever me used to watch it thru the crack of my bedroom door. It is still one of my all time favorites today. It is currently on Hallmark and I tape every episode and watch it. I have seen most episodes, but not all.

10. Bethany

Bethany Auditioning

Hello everyone.

I'm the new kid on the block. I just found this site last night.

I've been a Perry Mason fan for as long as I can remember. Such a fan that I have spent months digitally recording from TV, removing commercials, and finally making my own DVD's. Like all of you, I can't see paying outrageous prices for just one episode.

This has been a learning experience for me. I've really honed my DVD authoring and graphics skills. So I guess I should thank the studio in a roundabout way. But I would rather they get on the ball and make real series DVD's for us to buy. And let's not forget the Perry Mason movies that came in later years. I sincerely hope they release those, also.

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Hi Bethany. Welcome to the Forum!

I have also taped the shows from TV. Unfortunately, as you know, the Hallmark episodes are severely edited so I would gladly dump my tapes if the season sets were ever released. I've read in another forum that Columbia House has abruptly stopped the Mason DVD line after just 13 DVDs. The optimist in me is hoping that the stoppage is because season sets are coming. The realist in me is much more skeptical.

Steve

12. Bethany

Bethany Auditioning

Does anyone know how The Case of The Twice-told Twist from the final season ended up with a different intro and in color?

13. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I can answer that- yes, the intro was in color, like the B/W one in that we see Perry alone in the courtroom in the opening credits. It's a damn shame it wasn't in color during its final year, but on the other hand, it was brilliant in B/W anyway!! BTW, it's interesting to see how a whole TV era died when network TV went all-color in the fall of 1966. Among the shows that bit the dust in late August/early September 1966 without going to color: The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Patty Duke Show, The Outer Limits, The Donna Reed Show, Ben Casey, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Shindig, McHale's Navy. In the case of Patty Duke and Outer Limits, both shows were owned by UA Television, who was too cheap to shell out the extra cash to pay for color film since ABC would no longer accept B/W shows for primetime come September '66!

Back to Perry- By all means, bring it to DVD now. Also, there should be "best of" compilations, along with releases of the later TV films. As for a feature film, I wouldn't mind George Clooney, as for Della- well, it should be someone intelligent yet not overtly sexy- qualities that made Barbara Hale great in the TV series. How about Courteney Cox or Cameron Diaz?

14. Bethany

Bethany Auditioning

My family always said I was "born too late". I was born in September 1966. But I love all of the old shows, and don't have much use for today's television fare.

I'll have to think about who my vote would go to for a new Perry Mason. Courtney Cox would be good for Della. But not Cameron Diaz. Too goofy.

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    My Della is someone who probably doesn't appear on many lists: Marcia Gay Harden. I think she's a wonderful actress who has a sympathetic look but can hold her own as well.

For the record, I think Barbara Hale is a knockout. The most recent picture I saw of her is from about 2 years ago at nostalgia convention. Still as beautiful as ever. From all accounts, she is also one of the nicest ladies around also. If her health permits it would be nice if she got a cameo role in the new movie.

I would want season sets of this show, but a single DVD containing

Restless Redhead (the pilot)
    Deadly Verdict ("lost" case)
    Twice Told Twist (color)
    Final Fadeout (last show)

would be nice also for those who don't want all 271 episodes like I do.

Steve

16. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I've inquired with Paramount and they tell me that they don't have rights for this show.

Does anybody know who does? I had initially thought it was Paramount because they are the syndicators. Of course home video rights can be an entirely different matter.

Thanks,

Steve

17. Bethany

Bethany Auditioning

At the end of the episodes that are in syndication, the name Viacom is displayed. I don't know if that has anything to do with the rights to the show or not. Also, in case anyone isn't aware... Hallmark is now showing ALL of the episodes in their current rotation. In the past they have omitted several episodes. So, of course, I am now in the process of re-doing my DVDs to include the newly shown episodes in the appropriate order. Arrrgghhhhh!!!

18. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Viacom owns Paramount. Same company. It's all under the Paramount banner now.

As for Outer Limits, the show was cancelled in January 1965 after 17 shows. Long before the fall of 1966 and having nothing whatsoever to do with color.

19. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks to Bethany and Mark for the responses.

Mark - your response makes me think either Paramount has rights but doesn't know it or perhaps there is some clause in the Columbia House contract that prohibits retail release of these. Supposedly Columbia House recently discontinued the production of their PM line of DVDs so we will see if this has any effect.

Bethany - thanks for the heads up on Hallmark. I was unaware of this. I will be able to archive the episodes I'm missing, edits and all.

Steve

20. Bethany

Bethany Auditioning

Steve, Hallmark is now airing Season 5. They changed their schedule again last week. They went back to showing two episodes each day instead of one. So I missed the airing of The Duplicate Daughter. Other than that, I have all of the other episodes that are newly aired with this rotation. I would be happy to send you the ones you've missed to this point. Just let me know. And if anyone happened to record The Duplicate Daughter, I would really like to get a copy. Thanks!