What's new

Perry Mason 50th Anniversary release (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Details about it are up on tvshowsondvd.com. It'll contain a whopping 12 episodes. It's basically another split-season release. Will they ever give this show a full season release, one with 22+ episodes in it?

It's unfortunate the 50th Anniversary isn't tied up with the release of the 3rd Season. Hopefully it won't push back Season 3, Volume 1 too much.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
They are probably banking on the guest stars on this release to sell the set.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Since I'm buying all of the season sets the only reason I'm going to pick this up is for the extras, which sound pretty decent.

Doug67

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
The extras do look good, as well as the episode intros by Barbara Hale.

Based on the guest stars listed in the press release, we can account for at least 6 of the 12 episodes:

Bette Davis - The Case of Constant Doyle (1963, one of the 4 episodes without Raymond Burr)
Robert Redford - TCOT Treacherous Toupee (the fourth-season opener fron 1960)
Leonard Nimoy - TCOT Shoplifter's Shoe(1963)
Burt Reynolds - TCOT Counterfeit Crank (1962)

Adam West guests in two episodes (TCOT Barefaced Witness in 1961 and TCOT Bogus Books in 1962) as does James Coburn (TCOT Envious Editor in 1961 and TCOT Angry Astronaut in 1962). Hopefully they will choose just one for each.

I hope the rest of the twelve are ones that are unique in some way, or that don't adhere to the usual formula. Possibilities would be:

TCOT Final Fadeout (1966) - the very last episode, guest-starring Dick Clark and Erle Stanley Gardner as a judge
TCOT Deadly Verdict (1963) - in which Perry's client is found guilty in the opening minutes and he must reverse the verdict to save her from a death sentence.
TCOT Dead Ringer (1966) - Raymond Burr plays another character in addition to Perry
TCOT Twice-Told Twist (1966) - the only episode filmed in color and not part of the syndication package for many years
TCO Paul Drake's Dilemma (1959) - Paul is on trial in this one, but it's from the third season so it should be out soon enough
TCOT Restless Redhead (1957) - if they include the last episode, they will probably include the first, but hopefully it will be the only one that has already been released.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Doug, thanks for your post. Your list is essentially the same as mine in terms of speculating what the other 6 episodes would be. Obviously the first six were chosen solely by the guest stars as opposed to picking those that are standout episodes. Then again, PM had numerous episodes featuring well known guest actors from the early days of cinema (Francis X. Bushman) to up and coming actors like Redford.

I'm heartened that this is a relatively sparse collection of episodes and it would seem to indicate that the season sets will continue. Had this been a mega 10 disc set or something I'd worry that it was the end of the line for Perry. When rumors of this set starting surfacing awhile back I'd held out hope that it was going to be a Time Life complete series release for 2008, but that didn't happen.

Not to be negative towards this good news, but I wish CBS would have tacked on the extras to the existing sets rather than market this separate collection. However I can see why they're doing this also. Hopefully the low episode count will be reflected by a low price.

As far as the unnamed extras, I'd almost bet that one of them will be a STUMP THE STARS episode featuring the PM cast. Since Paul Brownstein is producing this, it is certain to be a first class set all the way.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
In a move that will probably tick off a lot of people, CBS/Paramount has upped the MSRP of this set by $10 (to $49.99) compared to the split season releases (which are $39.99 and have more episodes). To a die hard PM fan like myself I'll pay it to get these wonderful extras but this will negatively impact some consumers.

(I fully realize that nobody pays MSRP but the higher level also impacts the discounted price at Amazon et al.)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Full details about the set are up on tvshowsondvd.com. All new to DVD episodes, plus the TV movie Perry Mason Returns, plus screen tests and interviews and more. Sounds pretty good! I'll pick it up. At least now I won't have to wait 7 years to see the only color episode and the series finale!

I wonder how this release will impact releasing the whole series. Will we see S. 3 V. 1 in the fall and S. 3 V. 2 next year?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Wow - what an awesome set. Well worth the $34.99 :D

The extras are everything a PM buff like me could hope for. I'd always read that Burr originally tested for Burger and Hopper for Mason, but to actually be able to see this is a treat.

The 2 Burr interviews, from different periods of his life, will be most appreciated. I'm especially looking forward to the STUMP THE STARS episode (from 7/8/63), which I've never seen. Seeing these folks out of character will be a real treat. The episode on the DICK VAN DYKE dvds was a hoot.

I'm especially gratified that Barbara Hale and Art Marks are actively participating. I've seen a very recent photo of Barbara and she looks wonderful and as beautiful as ever; it's hard to believe she is *cough* years old. (I'm told she is very energetic and upbeat in person). Art Marks was a major behind the scenes force of Mason having directed and/or produced many episodes.

Paul Brownstein and Jim Davidson have put together a great set. Kudos to CBS for not having us double dip on any episodes already released. But please don't hold up on releasing S3 and beyond ASAP :)

Steve

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I have been receiving the season box sets of Perry Mason for Father's Day and for Christmas, respectively.

This one, though, is just too tempting to pass up. I'm hoping they will continue with the season sets, but this 50th Anniversary box set is this fan's dream. It is incredible. I have never seen the colorized episode and I love the first TV movie - Perry Mason Returns.

I also like the fact that they are putting the "extras" in one box set. I have enjoyed the season sets just as they are. However, to get all of the extras on the 50th anniversary set is the best to present this historic occasion. Hurry up, April, and get here.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I think I know what you mean, but just so there's no confusion, this episode was not colorized. It was originally broadcast in color as a one off deal and ratings stunt. The episode itself is ok (stars the great Victor Buono) but is not generally considered one of the more exciting episodes although it's great to see Paul Drake's wardrobe as it really looked :) Had PM been renewed for a 10th season that would have been in color. I hate to say it, but cancellation was better.

The series finale is great and features tons of "in jokes" as well as members of the crew being cast in bit parts. The next to last episode (Crafty Kidnapper with Gary Collins and Cloris Leachman) is a bona fide classic thriller. The ending literally sent chills down my spine the first time I watched it. I would have picked this over the episode with Burr in a dual role but now I have something to look forward to in six years.

Steve

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The extra I am looking for most is Perry Mason Returns. It's a shame this is only a one shot deal. It's a shame they can't start including the tv movies on the half season sets as extras.

I don't think any actor has been more identified with a role than Raymond Burr as Perry Mason. Witness the fact that the New Adventures of Perry Mason lasted 4 episodes. It will be interesting to see Burr testing for Hamilton Burger.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It would have been interesting if an episode from the 1973 series had been included- besides Monte Markham as Mason, it also had Sharon Gless as Della Street! Considering the longevity of the characters, I'm surprised that a big Hollywood producer hasn't thought of a new movie version (there were several films in the 1930s starring Warren William before the radio show starring John Larkin aired in the 1940s). Among the more legendary TV shows, seemingly this and Gunsmoke haven't been adapted to the big screen in this era, and maybe that's a good thing based upon the way Hollywood has screwed with shows like Bewitched, Sgt. Bilko, and The Honeymooners!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

There have been some attempts to restart the "movie of the week" concept on TV with a new Mason but no takers thus far. Burr is so indelibly identified with the role many probably feel that audiences would reject any new Mason.

Steve

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
Granted the extra material on the set would be nice to, at the least, see, but Paramount will continue to release the series, and, I believe, season three is next, so what is their excuse for this "double dipping"? Is it intentional Paramount is not including any episodes from the previously released seasons one and two? I believe it will start with an episode from season three. $50. list is a lot of money to pay to get an advance look of future episodes, which is going to be purchased anyway.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to Dave's news story posted today we now know of a previously undisclosed extra: William Talman's legendary anti-smoking PSA that aired after his death. It's available on the net but in low quality so a high quality version will be most appreciated.

Unfortunately this release carries the "some episodes may be edited..." disclaimer that the first two season sets didn't. Hopefully this is just CBS covering themselves after the FANCY FIGURES mishap and none of these episodes will truly be edited.

Hopefully news of Season 3 won't be far behind....

Steve

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

People on Amazon are giving this low marks just because they would rather have a season 3 set. I hope we will get more seasons to come, but i am in for this release as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgs