What's new

Perl Harbor widesceen VHS vs. widescreen VHS (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I know that most likely no one on here owns the VHS of Perl Harbor, but what is the diffrence between the widescreen VHS and the non ws one. They both have black bars, and they both say that the black bars will be bigger during battle scenes. Did the OAR change durung the battle scenes in the theater? If so, does that mean that both VHS's are not OAR during some scenes? I really don't understand how this is possible. I also would like to know who's decision it was to only offer this in widescreen on VHS? The funny thing is, it is available P & S on DVD? How weird is that?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joshua, Micheal Bay pushed to get this film available only in widescreen on tape, and the black bars change from thin to thick because the studio was afraid the sensative little minds of Joe/Jane couldn't handle seeing the entire film in it's 2.35:1 AR without throwing a temper tantrum.
The correct and constant AR for this film is 2.35:1, that's how it was presented in theaters.
And the dvd is NOT available in P&S, it's OAR only.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
While I'm not a fan of Bay's films, this is a good start at least for OAR becoming more mainstream. I wish more film makers would do this. I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott said that Hannibal would not be released in Pan and Scan for the DVD, unlike The Silence of the Lambs.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joe, it IS in it's OAR only, on the dvd. It changes on the vhs only.
The entire film is presented at it's proper theatrical AR of 2.35:1 on the dvd without any changes.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I believe the DVD has both widescreen and Pan & Scan! Also, if the widescreen VHS tape has a consant ratio of 2.35.1, then why does the tape say the black bars will be bigger durung tha battle scenes?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also, if the widescreen VHS tape has a consant ratio of 2.35.1, then why does the tape say the black bars will be bigger durung tha battle scenes?
Who said it has a constant ratio? All of the responses indicate the ratio DOES change on the tape - it's the DVD that remains the same...

Justin_M

Agent
I have the PH DVD, and I can assure you, it is OAR only! As for the VHS, my dad wanted this for X-mas, so when I went to pick it up, I saw both versions. I, being the OAR fan, immediately bought the WS version. It appears the packaging is mislabeled, because this is the same ratio as my DVD, throughout the ENTIRE picture. My dad, being J6P, wasn't crazy about the black bars, so I went back and got him the other version. It is still in WS, but as the back of the box says, it is formatted to fit more of your TV screen. The bars start out much thinner, and then get thicker during the attack scenes. This one is labeled properly. I actually kinda like this. They released a semi-FF version, and then sneak in the wider AR partway through the movie. Most people won't even realize it happened, cause by then, they are looking at the picture, not the bars! Maybe now more 4:3 TV people will realize that bars are our friends!:emoji_thumbsup:

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Thank you Justin. That is exaclty the information I wanted. And I did read all the post thoughly. I was actually asking about the DIFFERENCE betweem the two VHS tapes.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
My dad, being J6P, wasn't crazy about the black bars, so I went back and got him the other version. It is still in WS, but as the back of the box says, it is formatted to fit more of your TV screen. The bars start out much thinner, and then get thicker during the attack scenes. This one is labeled properly. I actually kinda like this.
So they are both labeled properly. But what I don't understand is how you can call yourself an OAR fan, and then say you like the version that isn't in it's OAR.

Justin_M

Agent
Kyle,

You didn't read these posts closely. There are TWO Versions of the PH VHS and ONE of the DVD. The DVD and the WS version of the PH VHS are the same, 2.35:1. The other "semi-full frame" VHS version is at a taller aspect ratio, maybe 1.6-1.78:1, then goes wider in the action sequences. The box for this version is correct. The statement on the WS VHS is incorrect, as it is 2.35 all the way through the movie, it doesn't change as the box states. Appears to be a simple labeling error. I stated I liked the "semi-FF" version, because it is like a stepping stone for all the P&S followers out there. We can't convert them over night. I didn't say I preferred it over the WS version, but I think it is a huge step (in the right direction!!) for a studio/director to take with such a big title. They could have just thrown a mass-pleasing 1.33:1 out there. Then we would have all been on this thread complaining about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks