Perl and Windows 2000 file size limitations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, Oct 3, 2002.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I recently created a Perl script that does modifications to MPEG-2 files without re-rendering. It works exactly as expected with filesizes less than 2 GB; however, once it hits that 2 GB point, the destination file is closed and the program stops.

I have MPEG-2 files that are larger than 2 GB that work without a problem, which surprised me. Some of my MPEG-2 files are over 4 GB and Windows will play them like there is nothing wrong. So, this issue is a bit disconcerting.

Does anyone have any idea to break the 2 GB barrier through Perl so that I can get this blasted thing to work properly?

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Hi John

It probably has something to do with the fact that, on Windows, integers are stored as 32-bit signed values. Values can range from -2147483647 to 2147483648... once you hit a file size larger than 2,147,483,648 bytes, some integer value is probably choking because of an overflow.

At least this is my guess...

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Let me guess... You're twiddling bits in the MPEG sequence headers to change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9? [​IMG]
    Steven's right. The Perl engine that executes the script is using 32 bits to measure file size and position, and 32 bits will max out at 2 GB if it's signed or 4 GB if it's unsigned.
    If you could split the file into 2 GB chunks and process each one, then merge them back together... but of course you'd have to do that using a compiler or script engine other than Perl, and in that case you might as well use it to do the original task.

4. John_Berger

5. Steven K

If you have a few hundred bucks lying around, you can go to eBay and buy an older model SPARC Solaris box, such as an Ultra 5. Solaris is a 64-bit OS, but also keep in mind that the Sparc chip used high-order (big-endian) byte ordering, so you would also have to incorporate some kind of byte-swapping routine into your Perl script if your MPEG files contain values larger than 1 byte (which I'm assuming they do, but I'm not very familiar with the file format).

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It's not the 32-bit integer size per se, but rather the API used to access the file is expecting it. There is probably a newer API call that takes a 64-bit value, given that Windows supports files bigger than 4GB.

A newer version of Perl might support it already, or you could switch to some other language that does.

//Ken

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It's not your processor or Windows 2000 which can't handle the 64-bit values to get a file larger than 4 GB, obviously they can because you already have a gi-normous file on your hard drive. The problem is the Perl engine which is not using the 64-bit capable API calls.

8. Steven K

Ken is correct, its a problem with size of the variable that Perl uses to store file size information. The CC++ Windows API stores these values as a DWORD, which a 32-bit UNsigned variable.

9. John_Berger

I wonder if Perl under Solaris x86 would work. (I'm NOT having a 125 MHz Sparc 10 try to modify a 4 GB file. I might as well come back in a week to see if it's done. [​IMG] )
    I could look to other languages, but it's kind of silly to learn a whole new language that I don't want to learn just for this one tool.
    I'll see what options are out there. Thanks, guys!