What's new

Periodic humm in HT...Help? (1 Viewer)

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Everyone,
Tried this in the hardware section with no responses, so I thought maybe this is a "basic" question that better fits here. I have picked up some background humming in my HT. I have a Kenwood VR-6070 Receiver connected to a PS3 via optical into the "CD/DVD" jack and Direct TV HD via optical into the "video 3" jack.
Here's what happens - when listening to HD and "high quality" digital signals mostly from my local stations the humming is quite noticeable, and raises/lowers with volume levels. It doesn't seem to happen with normal digital signals from the Directtv or with my PS3. I can usually temporarily "fix" it by messing with the optical connection into the receiver. What's weird is when I jiggle the optical cable from the PS3 it seems to affect the humming I get when watching Directtv. When I jiggle the directtv optical cable it doesn't seem to affect the humming.
Can someone with knowledge/experience with this get me started on how to diagnose/fix? I've already tried just switching the cables between the PS3/DirectTV and it is still the same. It leads me to think it is either the signals from my DirectTV box or my Receiver, but I'm not too sure. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks.

Dogg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Erhardt
Humming is usually associated with copper connections (such as RCA cables) between hardware. The hum is usually the result of different grounds in the power supplied to various hardware. The fix is usually to ensure all of the devices are being supplied from the same UPS/surge protector/outlet.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

What’s the ground on your dish antenna like? Both the dish and the cable from it should be grounded at the same ground stake as your house electrical. If it’s grounded somewhere else, you can get a ground loop.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks