"Perfume" will be a film by Ridley Scott?!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

This book, Perfume is a pretty amazing read. I'm sure most everyone here has read it, considering its vast popularity. For those who haven't, the film follows the life and times of a serial killer in 18th c. France who does not possess an odour of his own, but has a heightened sense of olfactory awareness.
    From Dark Horizons:
    "Perfume: Ridley Scott is attached to direct this adaptation..."
    I don't recall very much high-octane action in the book, other than a massive orgy that breaks out before a public execution, a ridiculously surreal turn of events in an already strange tale
    Who else here has read the book, and who thinks that Ridley Scott has what it takes to translate the 'interior monologue' quality of the novel? Who is interested in the prospects of this film being made, and who thinks it's a terrible idea? [​IMG] I want to know!
    Joseph
    update: AICN also caught wind of this story and has added some background to the scoop.
    I guess nobody here either 1) read the book 2) liked the book 3) or cares at all. [​IMG] Too bad, it's a fascinating read and could make for an equally fascinating picture.

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I haven't read the book, but my friend keeps recommending it to me, he raves about it. Maybe I will get around to reading it.

Is it confirmed that Ridley is directing? or is he just "attached" to it?

3. andrew markworthy

I've read the book, and Mr Scott is not someone I'd choose to direct a screen adaptation. Perversely enough, the chap who directed The Cell (sorry, memory loss - can't recall his name) might be a reaonable bet.

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Jesus, how many projects is Ridley Scott allegedly attached to direct in the next 2-3 years? There's gotta be about 5 or 6 films, at least. Plus, he's got that deal with his brother at Fox. He's a busy and popular man after Gladiator and Blackhawk Down, huh. He can't possibly do all these films, though I really hope he finds time for "Captain Kidd", and he seems excited to do a pirate movie as he mentions it in just about every interview. So I got my fingers crossed for that one, maybe the script just isn't right on that one...yet.

I'm not familiar the book "Perfume", but it sounds interesting.

Regards,

Dan

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Bump... :b Sorry. I would really recommend the book to anyone who hasn't read it. I rarely say this about literature, but 'Perfume' contains some really intoxicating use of language that gets hypnotic.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I've read the book and it made a huge impression on me. Filming it would be difficult.

Jim