What's new

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer UHD (1 Viewer)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
For those who think they can't watch another one of these bombastic Hollywood super hero/action films, silly comedies or overblown fantasy orgies on UHD, and that there are not nearly enough substantial films out there here's a potential alternative for the cinéphile with a "refined" taste and an appetite for the unusual, borderline offensive and disturbing: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
The disk was released last year in Germany, is mastered from the 2K DI from 2006 and looks excellent including some controlled HDR effects. Sound is "only" DTS HD HR but I doubt one could hear a difference to the uncompressed version.
Be prepared for an all out assault on your senses and sensibilities by a master film maker who puts the outrageous tale of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille on screen as if the source novel were not "unfilmable". With Ben Wishaw (known from "James Bond" but this film is his legacy so far), the late Alan Rickman, the late John Hurt, the alive and kicking Dustin Hoffman and produced by the late Bernd Eichinger. The last 20 minutes alone would make this film a standout in any year. If you don't know this film yet I can practically guarantee that you will have a strong reaction to it, positive or negative. If you know it you know if this disc is for you or not. :)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Why can't we get a US release of this?
Because it did most of its business in mainland Europe and any label releasing more than the current DVD in the US would likely lose money. Rather than sit around waiting for a may-never-happen US BD that only you and a relative handful of other folk would buy, why not get yourself a multi-region set-up and import? Remember the old proverb: "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." ;)

Great film, by the way. I got the UK 2-DVD set initially and later the German BD. The latter has both English and German soundtracks and is region free, though its PAL extras are almost all in unsubbed German.

Last edited:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I still have the import HD-DVD from back in the day, but it's good to know the UHD is out there. Might pick it up at some point.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
why not get yourself a multi-region set-up and import?
Actually, I have things set up so I can play from other regions. I just did it in a way that I don't think I can discuss on HTF, and that didn't cost any money, since it uses stuff I already had. I've only imported from the UK. I've been hoping someone like Twilight Time would release it, but maybe I will just get the German BD. I don't see going UHD anytime soon, or not soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks