1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Performance on 1080p 4K conversion projector?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Sarah Matheson, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sarah Matheson

Sarah Matheson Auditioning

Sarah
    Hey guys, I'm looking at the Optoma HD27HDR.

50,000:1 contrast ratio
    1.1x zoom
    3400 lumens

It's hard to judge overall performance on so many variables - would you guys say that a conversion projector's performance is more similar to a 1080p or 4k projector?

2. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Welcome! - While I'm not personally familiar with this model and have never owned a DLP projector I can tell you that the [discernible] difference between "true 4k" and good 1080P up-converting models is minimal at best. In your case I would probably be more concerned about the contrast ratio as it is on the low side and the specs for this projector do not mention a dynamic iris. 3400 lumens is a whopping brightness spec but these numbers are often either exaggerated by manufacturers, achieved though convoluted measuring tactics that don't reflect real-world use scenarios, or result in such washed out pictures as to be unusable.

If your room can be made totally dark [light-controlled] you'll probably be suitably pleased. If ambient light is an issue, however, I would probably look elsewhere.

3. Sarah Matheson

Sarah Matheson Auditioning

Sarah
    Gotcha - so I'm guessing it wouldn't be great for watching Sunday football (in a semi-bright room). Thanks for your reply John!

4. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN

Sure thing. If that is your main intended use you would probably do much better grabbing one of the higher end 1080P models. As folks upgrade to either true or up converting 4k, these can be found at great prices and most sports programming is likely 720P or 1080i anyway.