Performance of Win XP on a PII 450MHz system

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Hunter P, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

My sister is visiting this weekend and I wanted to give her my old computer system. It is currently running on Win 98 but I wanted to put XP in it.

If I remember correctly, it is a 450 MHz PII with 128 MB of RAM and a 13GB HD. I know that this meets the recommended minimum requirements but I wanted feedback from the HTF.

Is anyone running XP on a similar system? Can the system handle it? Is there noticable slow down? Should I stick with Win 98 (or possibly 2000)?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

With only 128 MB of RAM, it will run like shit! Absolutely NOT recommended.

You'd need 256 MB for barely adequate performance. I'd recommend 512 MB for the best performance.

With enough memory, it shouldn't run much different than in under 98. May be slightly slower in some multimedia apps, but multitasking will be much nicer.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't know that I'd say it would run like *shit*, but it would be fairly slow.

The combo of the slow processor and low ram would probably require frequent reboots, depending on what the machine is used for.

I have a 400 mhz running XP pro...I can't remember for sure, but it seems like it has somewhere around 256 mb of ram.....I threw a bunch of spare sticks in it, so it might be more, might be less. Anyway, about the only thing I use it for is storage, and playing Halo via XB Connect. For that it works well, but for much else, it's pretty slow. Web surfing is alright, and music playback is fine. I also use it to watch downloaded sitcom episodes, and it's fine for that, although a bit slow opening larger files.

I'd upgrade the RAM and see how it runs with XP.

My optimal suggestion would be to put Win2000 on it. Much better than Win98 and the sys requirments are more down to earth.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I don't think there is a PII 450, I could be wrong, but I think the 450MHz is the low end of the PIII family. I ran XP Pro on a laptop with PIII 500 and 192MB and 20G (4200rpm) drive. It was fine, I can even play DVD with PowerDVD on it. I salvage old beat up computers, I have an old PII 366 laptop now (192MB 6.5G) that I may go XP Pro on it , just to see what happens..

5. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

6. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I was fiddling with a machine for a specific use, 600 mhz originally with 64 mb ram.

with 64 mb RAM it ran really poorly, I then upgraded to 192 mb (I know more than you have) and it runs quite respectably.

I would say that machine will be a little slow but should be fine, if it is poor, boost up the memory a little and you should be fine.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

[​IMG] Yup. My system was top of the line when I first bought it. I was so proud because I had this kick ass system. Fast forward a few years and today's low end systems are four times faster.

My sis just needs the computer for word processing, email and light internet use. No Doom3 or much multitasking. I guess that I am mainly worried about web page loads. Mike LS seems to get a lot more out of his 400 with double the RAM than what my sister would do.

However, based on the feedback and advice from my friend, I'm just going to go the easy route and load Win 2K.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Though late to the party, I'll add the following: My system is a 400Mhz PII with 384 megs of RAM, and it runs XP Pro just fine. When I first installed XP Pro, I had 256 megs, and even that was acceptable. In general, I find XP to be vastly superior to any prior version; so if you can, I'd recommend adding the extra RAM and going with XP. (It's not like Win2K will be all that great with 128 megs.)

M.

9. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

2000 should be fine. I've got a p3 500mhz with 96mb of RAM running Win2000 and it runs great. No problems at all.

10. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

PC100 RAM is getting increasingly difficult to find, and expensive when you do find it, so updating may not be viable. I'd say install Win2k and don't look back! I run it on my PII 350 w/ 128MB RAM and it's great, much faster than Win98. The only drawback is it takes forever to shutdown and my PC won't automatically power off after shutdown with Win2k.

Just tell your sister to run a tight ship and don't install/uninstall a lot of superfluous apps and it will be great!!

11. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

you can run pc133 ram; the number is just the highest bus speed it will handle. We've had to get that here at work, and it runs fine.

12. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Not too long ago, I've upgraded all our old PII and PIII computers at work with Windows XP. The slowest machine in the lot is a PII running at 400 MHz with a 6 GB drive and 320 MB of memory. It's my boss' machine! [​IMG]

One PIII machine only has 192 MB of memory, and even there XP was still able to run properly as long as you didn't try to run anything overly intensive for an extended length of time. I wouldn't try compiling an application on it, but it's there if we need a backup computer.

13. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I won't be doing anything to it until Wednesday. I will check up on RAM prices. Based on responses, it looks like a doubling of RAM would make XP run just fine.

I'm kinda worried about drivers too. My computer still has all original hardware. Did anyone encounter this problem when installing XP on these "older" systems? I'm not too worried about being able to grab the drivers off the net but I'm a little lazy. I'm pretty sure that Win 2K will have all my drivers but not so sure about XP.

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>you can run pc133 ram; the number is just the highest bus speed it will handle. We've had to get that here at work, and it runs fine.

16. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

After running Windows 2000 Professional on my 300Mhz PII notebook (with a 6.4gb hdd, 13.3" TFT, 64mb RAM, and 2.4x DVD-ROM) for almost 3 years, I recently added another 32mb of RAM and installed XP Professional. To my astonishment, it's not only useable, but certain aspects are significantly faster than 2K Pro.

I use the system primarily for Word processing, web surfing, email, etc. But for some reason I can suddenly watch DVD movies, through PowerDVD XP, at almost full frame rates! In 2K they were unwatchable. Application load times are much, much quicker, the machine starts faster, goes into stand by quicker, wakes up faster, etc, etc.

I'm very impressed. XP has bought this old machine at least another year of life as my school computer.

17. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

hunter, i have the same exact system running XP Pro (PII450, 128 ram, 13 gigs), and it runs spectacularly. 10 times better than crappy Win98. With only two things that load on startup, it takes about 20 seconds before I'm ready to get going. I've frequently have about three IE windows open, a Word or Excel document, AIM, and Kazaa running at the same time and my computer doesn't skip a beat. If upgrading hardware is not an option, then at the very least, run programs like disk defragmenter once a month and adaware to find hidden files downloaded onto your computer. Make sure your desktop has only the icons that you use frequently. Run disc cleanup from time to time. And check MS's site for Hotfixes for XP.

18. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have you all beat... Im running XP Pro on a Pent. 200 with 128MB of RAM. It is slow but it was slow running 98 and crashed all the time. I only use the box to run one app that backs up and compacts my databases at night. It has been running non-stop for about a month now.

Every once in a while I look something up on the internet and it takes a couple extra minutes. Im sure if I was on dial up it would be too slow, but any computer would be too slow on dial up [​IMG]

I would go upgrade the RAM and you should be fine.

Here is a screen shot for you non-belivers [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Shiva Singh

Shiva Singh Extra

I have an old laptop (Pentium MMX 266), and after installing xp it works. All drivers used are the ones built into XP, and this thing is very stable.

It originally had 96 mb of ram and XP installed O.K. but ran very slowly (only used for internet and light Word documents). I decided to upgrade the ram. exchanged the 64 mb stick with 128 stick for 160 mb total. No difference in speed. Still use it for web surfing with no problem, and it has NEVER crashed on me (reason for upgrading from Win 98se).

When looking at a webpage it will download the data and then spend a couple seconds before it displays the webpage. Taskmanager shows that I rarely used more then the 96 mb's originally installed. The main problem is the processor is too weak.

Try installing it on the machine, if it's slow then install more memory. You may be suprised at how well it works with 128 mb of ram.

20. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I originally had a PII 450 with 128mb of ram and a 10GB HD and it ran fine I will say that after upgrading to 256mb of ram it ran much better.