1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Performance of Dish under heavy cloud cover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeDeVincenzo, Jan 7, 2002.

1. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

We're getting hit with a fairly strong snowstorm here in Northern NJ. My Dish Network sat. is roof-mounted, but right now is basically free of snow cover, but I still can't get a signal. The cloud cover, however, is very thick. Could it be enough to prevent the sat. from getting the signal? Just wondering if others who have owned sat.'s longer than me (I've had it for about 3 months) have had similiar experiences.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I have never had a signal problem with heavy cloud cover..Sometimes during an extremely heavy rain storm I will lose signal for a few minutes......

3. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

I have never had that situation of losing signal under just heavy cloud cover. Do you know what your signal strength is under ideal weather conditions? If your dish is off axis a bit it may be able to lose signal under heavy cloud cover.

When I had my dish installed I insisted on it being mounted on the side of my house, not the roof due to snow conditions. I haven’t had an interruption in service in months but my buddy around the corner lost his signal due to having his dish buried under snow. Didn’t listen to me and was talked into a roof mount. We got nailed last week with a storm and 82+ inches of snow (Buffalo,NY area).

4. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Probably just rain/snow in the upper atmosphere between your dish and the satellite. It doesn't have to be raining/snowing on the ground at your house to block the signal.

At my house a loss of signal gives us about two or three minutes warning of a heavy thunderstorm coming.

Bruce

5. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Mike, check for ice on the dish and lnb.. during "wet" snows, the dish can accumulate the wet snow, which inturn freezes, thus really knocking down the signal. Also, on really snowy days, the dish seems to be a magnet for snow.. that will really kill the signal..

I have never lost signal durning a snow storm.. only during monsoons.

Jim

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I've been subscribing to DirecTv for 7 years, and it's my experience that signal loss is usually caused by clouds. Sometimes it will appear to be the rain/snow causing it, but I've only lost my signal once or twice due to snow accumulating on the dish.
    I realized this over the years after I noticed I would lose the signal prior to it raining, then I would re-gain the signal as it started raining. As Bruce said, it can be an accurate predictor of heavy precipitation.
    -Dan

7. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

Problem solved. Last night, still under very heavy cloud cover, the dish was still trying to acquire the signal when I decided to go to the setup menu and check my signal strength, again. It was still a healthy 114. I exited out of the menus, and suddenly, everything was normal again. Go figure. Just another example of quirky behavior I've found in the Dishplayer. [​IMG]