What's new

Performance of AV1 (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Im considering buying AV1s from GR Research. I listen to any music thats on Rick dees top 40:
http://www.rick.com/top40/chart.html
It includes Jennifer Lopez, pink and MICHELLE BRANCH etc..
Would I be able to notice the improvement in sound quality over $200 Paradigm Atoms?
I have built a DIY shiva sub and really love it, but I went to audition the PSB Stratus Minimonitors which were supposed to compare to the AV1s. THe Dealer said I should go with something cheaper because with what i am listening to, i shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Martice

Screenwriter
Here's a link:
AV1 Review
Here's a very good review of a few speakers including the AV1.
Speaker Shootout
I have a trio of AV1+'s and my early findings are enthusiastically positive but still inconclusive overall. When I've had time to sit with them for a while I'll write a few words of my findings.
Until then,
Good Luck

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Alex,

While I haven't heard ANY Paradigm speakers, I am 99.99% positive that you will hear a big difference in sound quality going to the AV1's. I absolutely love mine and from what I remember of the PSB Stratus Mini's the AV1's should best them as well. The PSB's may have more (even better) bass output, but the AV1's will excel in midrange clarity.

Next up is a pair of AV1+'s!

Brian

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know how much of a difference there is between the AV1 and this DIY speaker? (the MB1)
http://murphyblaster.com/
Then CLICK on PROJECTS, then on "Building Your Own MB1"
It says that it uses GR speakers, and can be made for $170.00.
Phil

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I'm sure Jeff Lam will be along to let you know since he has both. I do believe the AV1 uses better crossover components but I don't know that one is necessarily better than the other. I'd love to hear both though!

Brian

SteveF

Grip
I think their crossover designs are quite different. If I remember correctly, the AV1 has a first order crossover whereas the MB1 uses a higher order crossover. There are pro's and con's to each and the differences may come down to personal preference.
I have been looking more and more at the MB1, and since chatting with Dennis Murphy, the 1801s. Since designing the MB1, he has worked with David Ellis to design the crossover for the 1801. This speaker seems to be well
regarded - a pricier kit (475$/pr + cabinet) that leverages the SEAS Excel W18E001 woofer and the Hiquphon OWI tweeter. You can get the parameters (and individual prices) for the OWI and SEAS woofer at http://www.zalytron.com/ if you are interested.
You can learn more about the 1801 at the Ellis Audio home page. You will not find a broad spectrum of 1801 owners - Madisound's forum (caution - big download) seems to be the best location to start. This audioreview 1801 page also has some review comments.
This is not a recommendation. I am now trying to pick amongst the adire kit281, GR av1+, MB1 and the 1801s.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
As Brian said I have both the MB1's and AV1's. I haven't directly compared them A/B yet as I am still working on my stands and have just finished my Tempest sub. I have also been busy the past two weekends so I didn't get a chance to work on them at all. Anyway, just from casual listening to both pairs, my general opinion is that you would probably have a hard time telling which is which in a double blind test. I'll get John, Phil, Barry, and some others together so we can A/B them sometime very soon.

They both use the exact same drivers and cabnets (though the cabs may be different by a small margin, I have not looked into it close enough). Depending on the type of components used in the MB1, for the most part the AV1's components are far superior in quality. If you were to buy the same quality components for the MB1 (Axon caps, all foil indictors) you would be spending close to $150-$200 just for the crossovers. Consider that the MB1 uses 14 components while the AV1 only uses 7 (2 being bypass caps, so I only view it as 5).

As of right now if you were to ask me which I would buy, I would pick the AV1's. Not due to them sounding better but only on the fact that you can get the entire kit from one place (this includes everything from tweeter gaskets, shrink tubing, oxygen free wire, silver solder, t-cups, ports, everything!). You also get the finest quality components and parts available, and considering the crossover is much, much easier to build, this kit is my pick for first timers or people non-experienced in soldering or electronics. The MB1 crossover is much more difficult and you have to go to many different supplyers to find all the parts you need to complete the entire project.

So, I'll get that comparison done soon but till then my pick is the AV1.

SteveF,

The AV1 first order crossover is the old version. Danny has implimented a new series network that mimics a higher order crossover. It has been this way for quite a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks