Performance gas-free car (0-60 in 4 sec)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Looks cool. Wonder how long it takes to charge?

probably because if it was a sedan, no one would have gave it a second look. This way it gets lots interested and gets the company name out there.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A good point was made when someone asked "why not buy a Lotus model that's $40,000 cheaper and spend the savings on gas?" [​IMG]

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I assume they did it simply because they could. Why have just an economical car when you can have an economical car that out-accelerates a Ferrari?

Lithium is the key. Battery technology is finally good enough to make the electric car practical. I hope more production cars like this aren't far behind.

These guys have demonstrated prototype models that were boxy and very ugly. Honestly, they looked like a large cardboard box that some kids cut up to resemble a car. It's good to see they've given it more appealing lines before going into production.

Here's a CNet slide-show with some pretty good pictures.

I'd buy one if I could afford it. This thing may even be good enough to replace the Honda CRX I've been driving for 18 years. [​IMG]

5. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Why not use wind power to help recharge the car? Every car through movement has wind passing over the vehicle. There has to be a way to harness it. It might not be enough to keep the batteries charged but it should extend the 200 mile limit.

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Interesting idea. Unfortunately, Jassen, the energy you would gain by harnessing the wind would be less than the energy lost in reduced aerodynamics. It would be like having a ship drop an anchor with a long drag line wrapped around a propeller shaft. The drag from the anchor will always be greater than the thrust from the propeller.

And it's not just a matter of having the right combination of exotic materials and innovative design to make your idea work; it's a Conservation of Energy and Second Law of Thermodynamics thing. If your suggestion were at all possible, then perpetual-motion machines would be possible as well.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Only the cars driven by politicians have sufficient windpower.

8. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I'm not saying this would keep itself fully charged but just help add water to the pot. Think of two buckets, one hung above the other. The top bucket has a one inch hole in the bottom, the bottom bucket a two inch hole. The top bucket would be feeding the bottom bucket as they both drained. Sure the bottom bucket is going to empty but will take longer to empty than a single bucket with the same two inch hole. The air passing over the car could be lead into the car through ducts, much like the ducts that are used to cool brakes in sports cars. Inside the car could be lightweight turbines to convert the air to electricity. The system wouldn't sustain itself but just help extend the time between chargings. I have no idea how possible this is and maybe it would add too much weight but I don't think it would add too much drag.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Brian is correct as to the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

The point here is that the increased drag would more than offset the gain created by the turbine.

Think of it in this regard: the wind power that would turn the turbine is not free, but is created by the motion of the car through the air. The car uses power (in this case, an electric motor) to overcome air resistance (among other things). The more resistance, the more power necessary to move the car through the air, thus creating the wind. A turbine creates additional resistance, as would the generator that would be spun by the turbine. The generator has its own internal resistance and that used to turn rotation to energy used to recharge the battery.

You can think of the Second Law, as There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Yeah, in thermodynamics:

You can’t come out ahead.

You can’t even break even.

You can’t get out of the game.

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

The 200 mile limit with a lagtime of a couple hours to recharge is what kills this, as well as every other electric car ever conceived. It just makes it impractical for anything other than a commuter car. That could work for a large group of people, but there will always be that time when they need to go more than 200 miles and for that, they'll need another car. Just not economical in the current state.

If they can figure out how to extend the range, or shorten the charge time to minutes instead of hours, they will have something.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'm not so sure. You drive or own a car like that to be seen by people. You want people to check it out while you're going slow enough to be gawked at and for the babes to maybe approach you. It's something you'd drive around the streets of LA, Vegas, or Frisco. Maybe it'll attract people like Gore and Leno.

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

If it’s only driven by the likes of Gore and Leno, it’ll have no more relevance to the typical car buyer than a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

14. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I think it's a huge leap beyond every other electric car ever -- well, not conceived, but built, anyway. Past electric cars would just barely get you to work and back, and only then if you hit a decent percentage of green lights. With a 200-mile range, I can stop by McDonald's and return a video on the way to work in the morning. I can go out for lunch, too. And on the way back home, I can stop by Fry's, pick up some groceries, go to the bowling alley, visit the brothel, and get a drink at the local tavern -- all without worrying about whether I'll have enough electrons to make it home.

Wait, did I just type that list for all to see? Jeepers, don't let my wife see this. I'd hate for her to find out that I go bowling.

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, at least someone is trying to build something that doesn't use gas.

I give it a [​IMG]