Perforated screen material.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phu Vo, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Is there such a fabric that can be used for a DYI perforated screen? I have had good success making a DYI 54" wide screen for my Infocus LP340. It amazed me at how perfectly flat the screen is. Something my pull down screen isn't. Almost like looking out a window. After I painted it grey, the contrast on the LP340 improved. But now I am moving everything into a bigger room and would like to make a screen that can conceal my center channel speaker if possible. Also, I am going to be getting a NEC LT150 soon. So this time, I don't think I will need to paint the screen grey.
    Right now I am just fleshing out ideas, but I think a perforated screen would be cool to have, but I definitely don't have the deep pockets to pay for a commercial one. Anyone ever encounter a material suitable for a perforated screen?
    ------------------

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

A question and a thought - are you looking for this to be a material that can be rolled up or retracted (flexible)?
    Also, placinng your center behind this is going to have a negative effect on the sound of your center channel. You're looking at a trade off between good image vs. good sound. Also, you might do a search in the projection forums about problems with moiré patterns when usinng micro perf screens.
    BB