Pepsi Play For A Billion...what a farce!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jo_C, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Yes,

What a farce this game show was...and on one of the lowest rated networks, The WB.

I think it was all fixed in advance so there would be no Billion Dollar winner. They might as well as had the contestant risk the million he had one to go for the billion...as far as I'm concerned, to quote Anne Robinson, 'he left with nothing'...so much for hype.

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Wow, didn't even know it was on, but the billion was to be paid over 40 years, with a balloon at the end. That could've meant $1 a year for 39 years for all we know.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i watched some of it, it was painful to watch, being a 2 hour commercial. of course nobody was going to win the billion, too bad so many people were fooled into watching the whole thing.

CJ

4. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I watched it during the commercials of what most people should've been watching, Conan O'Brien's 10th Anniversary Special! :) From what I could gather, it wasn't that interesting. Did anyone win any money?

5. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    It was as fixed as a lottery. It was random, that's all that matters.

And nowhere did it every say they would be giving away the billion. It's like "Who wants to be a millionaire..." you can't lose that show then sue because you didn't win the million. You had the chance.

6. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

So how did they "play" for the billion? Was anything risked/multiple choice questions/coin flip/etc.?

mike.

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think Berkshire Hathway is insuring Pepsi for the $1B in case someone wins. The odds are like 1:750M or something.

8. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

yeah, the rules were silly, but there was a decent chance someone would have won a billion. Every contestant got to pick a number between 0 and 999,999. Then Pepsi picked a number from 0 - 999,999. Whoever came the closest won the million....and if they happened to match Pepsi's number exactly they would win a billion. There were 1,000 contestants, so the odds of someone winning a billion were actually not terrible. There was a 1:1000 chance that someone would win a billion, though each contestant's odds were 1:1,000,000.

As for the payout of the billion, it would have been $5 mil a year for 20yrs, $10 mil a year for 19 yrs, and $710 mil in year 40. Silly yes, but not a horrible payout.

9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I'm suprised they didn't have some 90 year old woman on this show and have her win the billion. no need to pay it all out, but good promotion non the less.

10. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter