Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: Peppermint

Tagline: The system failed. She won't.

Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller

Director: Pierre Morel

Cast: Jennifer Garner, Tyson Ritter, John Gallagher Jr., John Ortiz, Annie Ilonzeh, Method Man, Tony Jacobsen

Release: 2018-09-06

Plot: A grieving mother transforms herself into a vigilante following the murders of her husband and son, eluding the authorities to deliver her own personal brand of justice.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll be seeing this; my wife is a huge fan of Garner since the Alias days (and I've been sold on her action bona fides since she showed me the series), and I'm happy to see another fun action movie. I'm hoping that this is closer to being a 90 minute than a 150 minute movie, because I think a nice, short and sweet running time is what the material calls for.

It's looking like this may not play in premium cinemas which is a disappointment to me; I saw the trailer at the Dolby Cinema theater before Mile 22 and thought the sound in the trailer was kickass. Oh well. Still should be fun!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be seeing this; my wife is a huge fan of Garner since the Alias days (and I've been sold on her action bona fides since she showed me the series), and I'm happy to see another fun action movie. I'm hoping that this is closer to being a 90 minute than a 150 minute movie, because I think a nice, short and sweet running time is what the material calls for.

It's looking like this may not play in premium cinemas which is a disappointment to me; I saw the trailer at the Dolby Cinema theater before Mile 22 and thought the sound in the trailer was kickass. Oh well. Still should be fun!
It's 102 minutes long and it's playing on the biggest screen in my area at 70 ft. with Dolby Atmos. I'm trying to decide whether to see this or The Nun. I'm not a big fan of horror films so it's probably going to be this film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's 102 minutes long and it's playing on the biggest screen in my area at 70 ft. with Dolby Atmos. I'm trying to decide whether to see this or The Nun. I'm not a big fan of horror films so it's probably going to be this film.

Doesn't appear that it'll be playing on anything that big in NYC, or anything with Atmos, but I'd jump at the chance to see it on that kind of setup.

I'm not interested in The Nun; I'm not hugely into horror films and I've never seen any of the other films in that series so I figure that may not be the best place for me to start.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doesn't appear that it'll be playing on anything that big in NYC, or anything with Atmos, but I'd jump at the chance to see it on that kind of setup.

I'm not interested in The Nun; I'm not hugely into horror films and I've never seen any of the other films in that series so I figure that may not be the best place for me to start.
You haven't seen the "Conjuring"? I've seen that one and "Conjuring 2", but not the "Annabelle" films in their entirety.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

On the Dolby Atmos listing I reference each week, it doesn't appear that "Peppermint" is in Dolby Atmos.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You haven't seen the "Conjuring"? I've seen that one and "Conjuring 2", but not the "Annabelle" films in their entirety.

Nope, I’ve heard good things about the first Conjuring but have not actually seen the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Annabelle Creation is my favorite of the bunch ( all of them which I like). It’s terrific.

Josh

Check out the films in the Conjuring “Universe”. They are well made and very entertaining ( the first Annabelle not so much tho).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Annabelle Creation is my favorite of the bunch ( all of them which I like). It’s terrific.

Josh

Check out the films in the Conjuring “Universe”. They are well made and very entertaining ( the first Annabelle not so much tho).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Josh

I have all of the films on Blu-ray disc, but I'm not a big horror film fan so I haven't watched them yet except both Conjuring movies which I also saw at the cinema. I have to be in a specific mood to watch horror films that are made today. The Conjuring movies were exempt from such a mood because I know all about the Warrens as I'm from Fairfield County, CT not far from their home and used to listen to them on the local radio talking about their experiences quite often.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
It's up against The Nun so tough to tell where it will land. My guess, around $8 million.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EW gave it a D+. First paragraph of the review:

If I were to describe the plot of something by saying, “It’s about a person whose family is murdered who then becomes obsessed with getting revenge,” you would be forgiven for rolling your eyes. That sentence more or less describes Death Wish, the 2018 Death Wish remake, almost every iteration of Batman, The Punisher, Deadpool 2, John Wick (dogs count as family), Gladiator, and, if you replace “murdered” with “kidnapped,” Taken — which happens to be directed by Pierre Morel, the man who’s also behind the Jennifer Garner disaster Peppermint.

Variety review:
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/peppermint-film-review-1202929343/

They don't like it either:
As a onetime Girl Scout den mother turned brass-knuckled avenging angel, Garner gives everything that is asked of her, from brute physicality to dewy-eyed tenderness, but this half-witted calamity botches just about everything else. Drably by-the-numbers except for the moments where it goes gobsmackingly off-the-rails, “Peppermint” misfires from start to finish.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That EW review is unfair. Just because a movie has the same general premise as others doesn't mean it's bad. You can summarize a bunch of movies as "Humans meet an alien and are terrorized by it." Not all of them are bad. Argue the execution, not the summary.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
The cliched story is probably just a small part of why this one will fail, It also has zero word of mouth.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
PEPPERMINT?

Sounds like a sequel to...

chocolat-movie-poster.jpg

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads