What's new

Peoples thoughts on the Velodyne cvt 8" sub (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
hi,

as the subject says, what are your thoughts on the cvt 8" from velodyne? going to be used with a full psb alpha speaker package.

thanks

steve

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you are in a small room ,this could work well. I would try to audition it from the local dealer first though. The HSU VTF-2 is another great option to consider

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I have listened to it at the FUTURE SHOP....if you are somewhat familiar with this store, it's similar to best buy because they have bought them out....however, their sales people leave alot to be desired. I usually buy from a specialty shop here in the city but they don't carry velodyne subs. What I have read about velodyne is that for the price there arent to many subs that come close......this velo 8" that I listened to did'nt put out all that well, but i think it's because the sales staff at the future shop have not one iota about setting up a system. I could tell that the sub was really being held back by something. I think once in my posession, hooked into my setup, it would perform wonderfully.
here is a list of subs i am looking at currently.
Price/performance is the number 1 factor here
psb subsonic 5
velodyne cht 8"
Boston ( not sure of the number but is running a 7")
B&W 8 inch.
Please continue your thoughts as im still deciding. Later on in the year like sept or so, i will be using this setup in the bedroom and using the following setup in the tv room
PSB Image 7pt
Psb image center and back surround
psb 3lr surronds
svs sub of some sort, read the reviews, they are awsome
marantz sr6200
toshiba progressive scan dvd
toshiba 51" hi def widescreen tv
how does this sound for a system?
my current system
sony str-de 445
toshiba st1600 dvd player
sanyo 27" flatscreen
psb alpha speaker system
? sub...:D

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I have the cht8 and think its a great sub for a small room.. which is where I have mine. For a hundred more...get the cht10.. and it will match a bit better.

I also use a velodyne ct150 wich is a monster and above what your inquireing about..but I like the velo subs. You realy wont get anything out of the sub..till you get it home and play with it a bit anyway...

I used to have the ct80.. wich is the older version of the cht8- both been great subs..especialy for the price

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I had one but took it back and got an SVS and then Dual SVS. I have a large room that is 20x18 with 12' ceilings. The velodyne would not fill that room and it was real boomy in music. I guess it is the best at Cuircut City. If you can afford more get an SVS or a Dharman or Rava. They are all a lot better

Vin

Supporting Actor
Steve, I think you can do much better for your money than the 8" Velodyne. I have the CT-120 and before that the CT-100....I think these subs are great performers at their respective price points but from my experience there's a pretty big drop off in output with the the CT-80/CHT-8. A friend of mine had one but wound up returning it for the Sony SAWM-40 and is much happier with it.

If you're trying to keep the price around $300 (which is what the 8" Velo goes for, I believe) I'd consider the Sony mentioned above or a JBL PB-10/12. I don't have any experience with the other subs you're considering so I can't comment on those.

Good luck,

Vin

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I started out with the CHT-80. I only kept it one day. didn't like it. Took it back for the CHT-100. It sounded much better, but after only two weeks, it died. Returned it for the CHT-120 and I've been a happy camper ever since. The 8" just didn't do it for me.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
In Canada, the Sony SAWM-40 lists for CDN$300. However, it can be bought for CDN$240-$250 before taxes. You may consider adding a pound of polyfill to make it less boomy.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks