People with 2:35:1 screens - what about 1.85:1 movies?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Len Cheong, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Sorry if this is s dumb question but should I assume that those who purchase the 2.35:1 also have a 1.85:1 screen lurking behind it?

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I don't have a 2.35 screen, but 1.85 movies are just shown in the middle of the screen with black bars on the sides. It's called a constant height setup.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I currently have a 1.85 screen with a DVD collection that is 90% 2.35. I was thinking about cutting down the screen to a 2.35 so I did not have to use mattes all the time and then, like Chris, just reduce the 1.85:1 image to fit the smaller screen.

I just started giving it some thought last night. I have yet to put in a 1.85 film and reduce it to see how it looks, which I will do tonight and if it looks good, this weekend I will cut down my screen.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

But realize you are losing resolution if you do things this way.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You're not losing any resolution. You would simply use the projector's optical zoom to zoom out for the 1.85 films to be smaller for the 2.35 screen.

If you built your screen why not just make a bigger 2.35 screen so you don't lose any screen realestate on 1.85 films (unless you're already at max size for your viewing distance).

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Unless you can zoom out and make the 2.35:1 movies the same height as your 1.85:1 movies now. Then go with constant height. Requires zooming and/or moving the PJ back and forth, which isn't prohibitive, but not really a "panamorph" way of doing it. When I do it, I'll just make my screen "wider" and find a way to zoom or move the PJ forward and back. Can't be that difficult, I'll just make some rails like Mandarax on AVS has done with one of his ceiling mounts.

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

My projector (L300U) has enough zoom play to do it without moving the projector, just have to find the sweetspot. With that said my collection is 150 in 1.85 or 1.78, 194 in 2.35 or 2.40, and 40 in 1.33 or 1.66. So with a close split, HD being 16:9, and watching a fair amount of 4:3, the 16:9 screen still made the most sense for me.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    After tinkering around with it a bit more last night I can zoom my PJ with 1.85 movies to fit nicely onto a 2.35 screen. All I need to do is slightly adjust the PJ down for the 1.85 films and then back up for 2.35, no need to move the PJ forward or backward. With the wing-nuts on my forward and rear mounting bolts it's a very simple and quick adjustment, then, just zoom and focus.

This will work much better for my large collection of 2.35 films rather then dealing with horizontal mattes to cover the black bars. With the 1.85 films I can do side mattes.

Hopefully, I'll have enough time tonight to cut the screen down and hang it.

9. Don_Goreham

Don_Goreham Agent

You may be interested in this little DIY project:

http://nizz8.home.comcast.net/panamorph.htm

I think I'm going to try this as soon I can find the time. Since I'm using a HTPC this would be a perfect solution.

later,

Don