What's new

People will steal anything! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
At my place of work, in the men's room, there used to a small, framed painting of a fish. Tonight I noticed the empty frame leaning against the wall in one of the stalls. Somebody had actually pried the thing from the wall and stolen this cheap painting! No big deal really, but it's amazing the stuff people will steal.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire
[Edited last by SteveGon on October 21, 2001 at 12:08 AM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm sure it had kitsch value. That's enough.
Ask someone who has ever put a pink flamingo on their lawn if people will steal anything.
When I was a kid, someone stole a bunch of tombstones from a local cemetery. One of them was from someone who had only been buried a few months. The family was understandably traumatized.
Nothing really surprises me. I think for most thieves, it's the thrill of stealing, not necessary just the "prize."
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...9, 8 7 to go!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
My first job as a teenager was at a grocery store. They busted a woman one day for stealing a sewing needle. Not a pack of sewing needles...A sewing needle. She had worked one of them though the plastic on a package of about 20 needles and slipped in into a coat pocket. The time it took her to do this probably resulted in her being spotted.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
A sewing needle.
laugh.gif
Now that I think about it, I'm sure that whoever stole the fish painting did it as a joke or on a dare. You'd have to be a hard-core klepto to want that picture!
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
They should replace the fish picture with another one immediately, but put a GPS device on the back.
Glenn

Gary_E

Second Unit
klep·to·ma·ni·a (klpt-mn-, -mny)
n.
An obsessive impulse to steal regardless of economic need.
ma·no·klep·ti·a (klpt-mn-, -mny)
n.
An obsessive impulse to walk through a store backwards, putting things on the shelves. -Rodney Dangerfield
Above the front door of the building where I work is a cheap light fixture and damn if someone doesn't steal the bulb every couple of months.
-Gary
rolleyes.gif

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
On a similar topic, it amazes me how people who have been caught stealing justify their actions.
In today's Chicago Tribune there is an article about someone who was caught using someone else's train ticket. Our Metra rail system has monthly passes which are encoded with an "M" or "F" (male or female) when the ticket is purchased. This is to prevent spouses from sharing these unlimited use monthy passes.
This guy, apparently oblivious to the gender code, let his wife use his pass one day. The conductor immediately saw that her pass had an M on it and proceeded to confiscate it, making her pay the full fare. Her husband was able to later pick up the pass at the main Metra station.
Those of us who ride the train here and read the story probably chuckled at the guy's ignorance. But what kills me is how the guy is mad at Metra for their Male/Female code! The guy said, "I knew Metra monthly tickets are for the exclusive use of the purchaser. What I find questionable is that they have chosen this method of security, making it only for gender. That is the only form of identification, and I think that is wrong."
It's almost as if the guy is embarrassed that he was caught by Metra's seemingly primitive security methods (which, of course, need to be simple enough that a conductor doesn't take too much time analyzing tickets). Perhaps if each ticket listed your name, social security number, and mother's maiden name, he wouldn't have attempted this petty theft?
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on October 21, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
quote: Ask someone who has ever put a pink flamingo on their lawn if people will steal anything.[/quote]
Those aren't being stolen for profit or use. They are taken out and destroyed by folks with better taste than the people who put them on their lawns. :) Personally I regard anyone who steals pink flamingos as a public servant, rather than a thief.
icon14.gif

Regards,
Joe
[Edited last by Joseph DeMartino on October 21, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
My mother-in-law is a klepto...yes really
Anyway,we used to go to church with her and I actually caught her tearing pages out of hymnals.
eek.gif

------------------
Chad's DVDs

Kevin Webb

Agent
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask someone who has ever put a pink flamingo on their lawn if people will steal anything.
------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't that the truth! My grandmother had a simple cement water fountain, that had a squirel on it, in front of her house. The thing weighed about 75 lbs. One day, she came home and found it was gone. I can't imagine someone driving up in a truck, thinking "I have to have that", heft it into the vehicle and drive off. But someone did... Unless they lugged it onto the bus
wink.gif

Goes to show, it takes all kinds of people to make up a society :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Saw the same Tribune story, Brian and laughed at the man's ignorance. Guess he was pissed at being caught by such a primitive ID method. Would he have been happier if Metra used special ink that only showed up under UV light or something? In any case, I ride the Electric line, so I can swap tickets with males or females alike with reckless abandon.
biggrin.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Have you ever bought one at a garage sale and put it on someone else's lawn?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
.. This pink flamingo stuff is hilarious. A buddy of mine bought the house next door and begged me not to let my wife put pink flamingos, porcelain squirrels, etc, on our lawn. "They make the neighborhood look like crap. If she puts any on your lawn, I'm throwing them away." (My wife, like me, would NEVER put something like this on our lawn.) It gave me a great idea, though, and one of these days I'm going to pick up a couple dozen pink flamingos and other ugly lawn decorations, wait for the guy to go out of town, and plaster his entire lawn with them. (Last Christmas, when he refused to properly dispose of his tree, I planted it in his yard. When he left it there well into January and it turned brown I had half a mind to set it on fire - it was well away from any buildings and would have been hilarious, but I could just see the fire department showing up and throwing me in jail.)
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
quote: Who stole what? I'm not sure I see what happened.[/quote]
This isn't a trap to lead me down the "I copied a friend's CD but it's not stealing," is it? :)
She used the pass in an attempt to avoid paying a fare, which is petty theft in my book. (Upon reading my post again, I guess I should have said "her" petty theft instead of "his.")
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on October 22, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Yeah, but it is still discriminatory
No it's not. They had a problem with spouses sharing a single pass, so they instituted this policy to put a stop to it. For the most part, I bet it works. It's not nearly as effective as other methods could be, but considering the primary problem (spouses sharing a pass), it's obviously effective enough for them.
Exactly how is this discriminatory? They're not saying, "Two men can share a pass but a man and a woman can't." They're saying, "Nobody is allowed to share a pass, but since people are doing it anyway and cutting into our revenue stream, we're going to implement a gender based security technique to try to cut down on pass sharing."
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks