People who preorder DVDs should get them early!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ward, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Ward

Ward Auditioning

It is my opinion that if I preorder a dvd well in advance of its street date release, that I should receive it early!

I think it would add to the incentive for the consumer to preorder, and would help the distribution firms determine demand and needed supply.

2. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

How early is early? The Friday before street date? That sometimes happens to me and can be great or, if I am backed up on recent purchases that remain unscreened, it makes little difference.

Now, there is a little film coming out on August 6 that I'd like to have in my hands today...

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The virtue in preordering is the lower price. I don't mind waiting until street date, though my preorders always seem to arrive on Mondays.

Vendors must honor the studios' wishes.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I disagree. If I preorder something, I'm garunteed to get it. I normally shop at B&M stores, unless it's something that has the potential to sell out almost immediately (Akira Limited Edition, for example).

If I preorder tickets for a movie at the theater, I don't get to see it the night before. Why should DVDs be any different?

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I usually never Pre Order. I could have pre ordered Lotr months ago for around 20 bucks. But CC will have it for 17.99, so I'll just pick up that morning.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I pre-ordered my copy of LOTR a few months ago at buy.com for 17.99 and free s/h.

Pretty good deal at Best Buy if its 15.99, but is it for WS or P&S?

I'm waiting though on the Simpson's season 2 pre order. I'm waiting to see what the B&M's have it priced at.

paul

8. Ward

Ward Auditioning

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

If you preorder from the right places, you will get them early (at MY favorite site... I routinely get releases on the Thursday before street date [​IMG] ). The deal may be over... but I got a $10 Digital Coupon, free shipping, and the $15.99 price at Best Buy.com [​IMG]

11. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I went the same way as Rob, (Best Buy). One question, do they email the coupon when the movie ships, or right after you place your order?

TimG

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Odviously, it is sometime after it ships [​IMG]
    Hopefully. [​IMG]

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

What is it about a release date you don't understand?
    Just because I want the DVD, just because I paid for the DVD, does not allow me to circumvent the official release date.
    I am happy for those few who get DVD's early, more power too ya!
    However, by pre-ordering you have a contact with that company, to receive the DVD in the allotted time. Not before & not after.
    If you do not wish to receive the DVD on or after the date in the 'contact', do not spend your money.
    It's that simple!

14. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

And CompUsa will have it for 99 cents. And there'll be a big ad in the Sunday paper bringing in every stay at home parent who doesn't have to work on Tuesday morning all jamming in the store only to find that each store only has 2 copies, and they're full screen anyway. [​IMG]

15. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

For me preordering has no advantages most times. I usually find the DVD cheaper at BestBuy or Costco. To preorder THeSopranos Season 3 at Amazon will run me $74.99 but come Aug27 I feel confident I'll be able to pick it up for 64.99 or 67.99 at Costco.

16. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I'm finding an increasingly wider price ratio among etailers on pre-orders.

For example; Amazon.ca has "Chronicles of Narnia" on pre-order for $55. CAD. C&L Club, while having a nice site, has terrible pricing and shipping policies, and has it on for $91 CAD.

I'm not sure why you would expect an early release of pre-orders; if you want that you should form a good relationship with your local mom&pop video retailer, who are much more likely to get it to you a few days early. I've supported the 'little guy' for several years and it has worked well for both of us.

The word "should," however, is not the operative word. You "should" support the little guys. I remember when 'Blockbuster' was a dirty word on this forum and I continue to NOT pre-order, rent or buy from them.

"Should" I get my DVDs early? I don't know; but I continue to be rewarded for loyalty that is not likely to be given by etailers.

17. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

For me, the pre-order is simply more convenient than having to make trips every Tuesday. Invariably a work or family emergency will change my schedule without notice, and I simply can't get by a store when I want to. For titles I "must have", I usually preorder and guarantee they'll arrive at my doorstep. In some cases, I'll luck out and get them on the Saturday or Monday before the Tuesday street, but that is not my incentive for the order.

Rich

18. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    As for me, I also look at preordering as a convenience and if I pay a buck or so more so be it. The place I use sends them to arrive on the day of release and they usually do. Maybe one will arrive a day early or one one a day late, but so what there isn't anything that I want bad enough to care either way. I think enforcing the release date is a good idea to level the playing field between the mega-retailers and the little guys.

19. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I agree with Jack Briggs. The biggest plus topre-ordering is getting the price break. However, with the way the B&M's use new titles as loss leaders, the pre-order is losing some of its lustre, UNLESS free shipping is thrown in like at DDD. BUT, I find that DDD is frequently 5-6 days after the street date with the free shipping. What I'd really prefer is a satellite download of the movie to my computer & DVD burner on the street date. Let me burn one copy & ship me the packaging later...

20. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Whenever I pre-order it's usually thru Columbia House, and I ALWAYS get my DVD days after the street date, sometimes it even takes a week after. I've stopped pre-ordering from them.