What's new

People begin to line up for "Attack of the Clones" (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm reaeding thru the local Orange County, CA. Register this morning and what to my eyes behold (no, not a beer ad), but 2 people sitting in lawn chairs outside the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in L.A. for May 16th.
Peace Out~:crazy:

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I never understood the need to do this for ANY movie. I wouldn't even do that for the Spider-Man movie. Hell if it was gonna be that crowded I would come back and see it another day.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You guys better NEVER move to Japan then ;) You line up for ANYTHING new and cool there. But usually only a few days ahead ;)
My friend is in the line, I keep making fun of him
Eventually I'll break thru his armor. The difference is that lining up for Star Wars IS a tradition, AND they're rasing money for charity
And the lucky son-of-a-gun got to meet Wes Craven already :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hasn't a group up in the northwest somewhere already started with the lining up for Ep2 thing?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,

Yeah, I seem to recall some people in the Seattle area lining up sometime last fall...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
*sighs*

I thought all the behavior surrounding that last one in 1999 was embarrassing. And the only reason I saw the thing at the Chinese on the Saturday after it opened was because friends of mine practically forced me to go with them. Even still, the lines stretched from La Brea Avenue all the way to friggin' Highland.

My favorite film from that year, however, was most certainly not directed by Lucas.

Will K

Screenwriter
I wonder what these folks do for a living that they can do this. Or do they work? Do they have a life?
I'm afraid I can't think of any film I'd be willing to camp out for, either.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love the Star Wars series, and in fact they are my favorite movies. But I'd never line up to see them before they were released> I'd only do it if I went to see them after their relase date and there was a line in front of the theater.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, why the line? Episode I was released on a wednesday. I saw it late Thursday night at 2AM by buying over the phone on thursday afternoon. SO really, even early tickets aren't running away...

--

Holadem

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I bet some idiots are already in line for EP 3 yes 3.
:laugh:I have more of a life than to stand in line waiting to see ANY movie no matter hjow muc I wanna see it

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
When do presales actually start selling? I remember fandango listed LOTR presales in Austin about 3 weeks before the movie was to come out. Why wait in line if you can just jump on fandango when the selling starts and order a few there then go pick them up when there is no line?

I have to admit though a friend and I waited in line the day they went on sale to buy 9 tickets for episode one for other friends and people at work. It was actually fun. But man was it hot out...bring the sun screen!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Speaking of sun screen... this reminds me of a crazy story involving the line for The Phantom Menace, circa Spring '99...

{dissolve music}

I got a chance to see the crazy carnival-like atmosphere in the parking lot of the Century 21/22 theaters.

The night before opening day (May 22, also my bday) was a literal sea of campers, RVs, blankets, tents, tables, alcohol, generators hooked up to big screen TVs showing the OT. I showed up around 10 PM with no intention of staying long, more out of curiosity than anything. A group of us wandered the camps... we saw children with lightsabers, paunchy husbands with beer coolers and portable heaters, beautiful girls in various states of dress, candy ravers, goths, college students, all interacting, laughing, having a really good time. Not once did you get the sense that everyone was solely 'waiting for a movie.' We sat around one camp and played Star Wars trivial pursuit, drinking and smoking until 1 AM in this normally pedestrian parking lot in the middle of San Jose. A couple of my friends ended up staying the night, in the upper section of a camper RV... others camped out in their cars, shared sleeping bags, 'hooked up,' the whole bit.

The next morning I arrived and the scene was not unlike the comedown after a huge party, only to be replaced with this renewed sense of excitement, kind of like, "oh yeah, and there's a movie to see today." Everyone was pretty nonchalant about it. We stood in line with parasols, dousing ourselves in sunscreen. I met this really cute girl and we walked around the lot just getting to know one another. It was a hot day, and by noon we were all peeling off layers of clothing (no this isn't going where you think).

At some point while waiting in line I began to feel an irritation in my left eye which got progressively worse as the movie time neared. I kept pouring water from a plastic bottle into my eye, which was incredibly stupid, since everyone had been drinking from that bottle. By the time we got into the theater, I was holding my left eye in agony and watched as much as I could with one eye open. Before long I was speeding down 280 with one eye barely open, and getting an eye wash (and an eyepatch) from the local ER.

Ah, memories....

Nowadays I have no free time, I've got this crazy thing called a 'fixed schedule' and this wacky 'homework' thing to do. Some of the same friends (those who still live here, at least) are now discussing doing something similar this year for AOTC. I think I'm going to pass this time, but I will always remember those days. I may agree that it's a frivolous and kinda stupid thing to do, but it was still worth it. We all gave ourselves something to remember, which when you think about it isn't that stupid.

But as far as waiting a month or more in advance... okay, I have to admit. There's a big difference between that, and just partying the night before the movie.

Cheers,

Joseph

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Perhaps if a couple of my freinds and I were feeling a little adventurous and wanted to be spontanious, we'd camp overnight, but no longer than that. But for an entire month and a half, that's insane!
Did they have they're little toy lightsabers out Ron? ;) To tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to see this film with a whole theater filled with 'SW' nuts anyway, they clap and cheer at every little thing, and I wouldn't be able to pay attention to the movie.

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph,

I was there too. Good times. I would go again for Ep 2, but I'm no longer local...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Brrrr! I've already reported elsewhere that I'm standing outside my local Cineplexus, freezing my nuts off, waiting for Episode II to open, only a few weeks left, hope its worth it, typing this on my trusty laptop, my thermos by my side (teeth chattering), its bloody cold, I'm waiting for Ron's review so I can go home, nah I'm sure its gonna be good, isn't this the one where Yoda reveals himself to Anakin, the filthy muppet, and I hear Jar-Jar is narrating this one, oh goody, and there are rumblings that Obi-Wan doesn't survive an encounter with Darth Crawl (yeah Maul returns!! Well half of him does), yep its true, rumors are that George has had enough of Ewan's badmouthing the series as the worst thing that ever happened to humanity, and he won't be returning in Episode III. Continuity gets buggered though eh George?

SIGNATURE PHOTO OF MEMBER FREEZING HIS BOLLOCKS OFF REMOVED

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
The most waiting for a movie I have ever done and will ever do is for about 3 to 4 hours, Basically friends and I will make a trip of it. We did this when the ST SE's were released last decade ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I thought I heard about some guys already in line outside the Cinerama in Seattle a few months ago. Rather odd since:
  1. It was (or was approaching) winter which, even in Seattle, can be quite cold.
  2. Cinerama wasn't even sure if they were getting the film.[/list=1]

Saw "The Exorcist" re-release there in October 2000. Quite freaky seeing Linda Blair do her thing on that huge screen. :)

Edit: Just visited the Cinerama website for kicks and see they're showing "Lord of the Rings." Man, it'd almost be worth the flight. :)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I've found that the midnight shows the day the movie opens (and I mean the early morning it opens, not the evening thereof) often have plenty of seats available at the window just prior to the show, while all the shows later are usually sold out. This is how I've seen all the "big" movies in the past few years.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thing is...back East we will have a midnight show WELL before these guys in line..and last time I got my tickets 3 days ahead of time..no line..no freezing..no news people goofing on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks