Pentium vs Celeron

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I know the difference between the two processors were hugely apparent early in the release of Celeron processors, but I was under the impression that many of the drawbacks of Celeron had been overcome...especially recently.

Over the last few months, I've been replacing all the PC's in my office. About 20 machines total. All of the machines that are used constantly at people's desks and in their office, I used P4 machines. I beleive 2.8ghz. They run great...haven't had the first problem from them.

4 of the machines I opted for Celeron. I think these run at 2.6 ghz. These are used at our sales counter and basically all they run is a UNIX emulator (Tiny TERM) for access to our main program, occasional internet useage (via Mozilla) and a couple of databases. One is a small Windows program and the other is an old DOS based program that runs in shell. None of these programs are taxing or require much in the way of resources.

When I first set these systems up, they ran great. I noticed that they booted a bit slower than the P4's, but it was a very small difference. But now that they've been installed for a few months, they take forever to do the smallest things. I reboot them at least weekly (which is now a 3 - 5 minute process on all of them), but after running for a while, simply navigating Firefox is a jerky, studdering process. Scrolling down line by line on a database takes 2 or 3 seconds per click to register.
    The emulator runs fine but that's because the PC isn't really doing anything.

Is this just the difference between Pentium and Celeron, or could there be something else here? I'm not really thinking virus or spyware because all 4 are acting the same way, plus I have them locked down pretty tight as far as access goes.

Just curious so I won't repeat this in the future.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'd check for spyware anyway. any machine that takes up to 5 minutes to reboot has something wrong with it. up until a few weeks ago, my parents had a pentium III 500 MHz with windows xp pro, and 256 MB ram. took about 45 seconds to boot. if firefox and other graphical applications are performing poorly, i'd look into the video card drivers. the pentium 4 architecture is bad enough, so the celeron wont be too good either, but it should be able to browse the internet with firefox easily enough. check for spyware and updated video card drivers.

CJ

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah id definately scan for spyware/virii maybe because the more retard proof you make things it still doesnt mean they cant click on things and what not online, and most (office people) are pretty clueless when it comes to surfing the web, just download AVG free or something like that on there and go for it, and then use ad-aware since its free and scan the pc with it. better to take a couple mins to do that than to pull yer hairout later because you didnt do it the first time [​IMG]also what OS is this? if its winxp make sure its patched up.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

All running WinXP Pro with all the latest updates and patches....set to auto update as new ones release. I have AVG network running on all the machines and I verify that all are running up to date regularly.

I'll run an spyware sweep next chance I get (Adaware is installed on all of them) and see what happens.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Don't forget, Ad Aware has to be run and updated manually. I'd add Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) which is still free and offers automatic updates and real-time protection, as well as an automatic daily scan. And then I'd add Spybot Serach and Destroy just to make sure Ad Aware and MSA didn't miss anything. [​IMG] With the performance slow-down you've mentioned spyware would definitely be my first thought. It is so typical of the symptoms I see all the time on my job.

Regards,

Joe

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

This doesn't sound like a Pentium vs. Celeron issue.

Check the Task Manager, and make sure there's no runaway process occupying the CPU.

You might also check the cooling system (fans and heatsinks). If the computer runs fine when cool (first turned on) if they overheat, the system will throttle down. In that case, the system will run slowly even though the CPU is not busy. There should be a way of reading the temperature sensor on the motherboard.

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

use motherboard monitor or similar program to check temps.

8. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Mike,

The Celeron processor is more than adequate to handle the tasks that you have described. Others things causing the problems...

Since these are recently acquired PCs, can I safely assume that they have WinXP Pro for OS? If not, what OS are you using?

What's the size of the memory? Since these are used for business, they should be no smaller than 512MB.

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Startup. If there are anything in here, delete it.

Go to Start -> Run. Type msconfig and hit Enter. Go to the Starup Tab. List what you have here. You may have some unnecessary programs running.

Firefox have a known memory leakage problem. If you're not using it, close it. It may sound unpopular around here but I rather recommend using IE instead of FF, just make sure you make the necessary tweaks and add Google/Yahoo toolbar (properly configured, of course).