Pentium 4 CPU Temperature too high?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Yoshi Sugawara, May 25, 2003.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

My fiance just put together a Pentium 4/2.4 GHz system for the first time, with an Asus P4PE motherboard.

We were monitoring the temperature with the included Asus PC Probe software, and the temperature reads 38 degrees.

But in the BIOS settings, the temperature reads 44 degrees...? Also, the CPU fan speed is 2700 RPM (according to both the BIOS and Asus PC Probe).

We thought the fan speed was too low, and tried to speed it up through the BIOS, but it would stay at 2700 RPM..

The CPU fan is connected correctly, and is spinning. We also have 2 case fans running.

Bottom line is, is the CPU cool enough? Should we worry?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

38 is a good temp for a P4. 44 is fine too. If you want the true temp, download Motherboard Monitor 5, but either of those means it's OK.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Anything under 50 is great for a P4. I have a p2.4/Asus P4Pe also. I couldn't get Mobo Monitor to work but there's this program called CPU Cool that works fine for me.

4. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice!

I downloaded MBM 5, and the CPU temperature shows 38 degrees right now - so I guess that's the true temperature then - thanks again!