What's new

Penny Arcade Genius (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I saw those controllers on Weds. and laughed so hard I fell out of my office chair....good thing the door to my office was closed.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, having a gag like that when it really isn't the point of the strip is genius. Like Zucker-cira-Airplane genius.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
To me, they're saying "we're not funny"...
I second that one. Yet another of the supposedly hilarious underground comics that thinks it's being oh so clever just by stringing together a bunch of verbs, nouns, and adverbs into what could generously be termed a coherent sentence structure.
Penny Arcade is foul-mouthed to the nines, but at least they don't require it, or inanity, to make their content, they just use it to drive home their points.
This has to be my favorite Penny Arcade of all time, just because it hilariously skewers that whole Oddworld situation.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite:
Well, he might
20021009l.gif

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I used to not like Penny Arcade, but it's grown on me. It's pretty funny and is able to make jokes about videogames and the industry without sounding too geeky.

Another videogame-related comic I enjoy is the Hsu and Chan monthly's in EGM.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
This, this, t h e s e, this, this, this. You know...there's too many great ones, you should just browse through the archive if you've never read them.
And the one in my signature that more people need to read ("M$").
Penny Arcade is gravy.
Morgan: Yep, Hsu and Chan is good stuff.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Penny Arcade started off as being ok, but the last year and a half or so they've been consistently and thoroughly knocking the balls out of the park as far as strips go. They streamlined the content so they're now just brilliantly lampooning hot topics in the video game industry.

Given the net based structure of the comic, it works very well, since most people are at least slightly familiar with the stories being mocked. Almost certainly the best game-based comic out there.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Penny Arcade rocks - easily my favorite comic strip. There are WAY too many great ones to list, but one of my favorite recent ones is this one...

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I'd like to say at this point that I was actually pretty horrified when I entered this thread and saw the comic in Graeme's post. Is that a joke about the X-Box controllers? After an entire year? Fortunately I saw the date shortly thereafter and realized this was just an old thread. I'm guessing they made that strip in the brief five-day period in which it was still funny to make fun of the X-Box's size (IT IS VERY LARGE AND HAS FEW REDEEMING MERITS TO SPEAK OF). Still it was a bit unfortunate since I had a rant on the subject all ready to go; consider this post a salvaging operation.
My $0.02: the strip is okay, but lordy lordy I can't stand the blog. The trailer for Equilibrium is out! We're playing Asheron's Call 2 (actual headline, alas)! Just stick to making fun of your pathetic geek lives, don't make us share in them. ;)
Ditto on Hsu and Chan. It's only once a month but it's a nice alternative to the whole "we need to do three/five/seven/fifteen comics a week because we're on the Internet" thing, which rarely bodes well for quality. I do one twice a week and it STILL sucks and I'm STILL three weeks behind.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Some of the posted ones were funny, others incredibly lame, others I don't think I got(the batman spider-man one?). I agree though when Penny Arcade is good it's really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks