What's new

Penn & Teller Consider ‘Alien Abductions’—and more (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
I've also seen their act in Vegas. It was great. I'll have to check this out !

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
They did stuff like film the medium in action and intersperse commentary that pointed out what the game was. Penn was so angry I thought he was going to explode and bits of him would cover Teller. I liked it!
I remember that episode and Penn was dead on, he was completely justified in his rage towards the mediums. When he talked about the mediums tacking the persons real memories of their loved one(what the only have left) and exchanged them for a lie was so pin point accurate it was awesome, it made me p!ssed off at the con men.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Im sure it will be huge in the UK because it shows just what morons some Americans are.
I've seen the series, thought it was great. However it will not be huge in the UK due to its format. I expect it'll be scheduled in the graveyard slot on C4 or Five, if at all (thanks only to its title). Which is a pity.

edit: Oh, and much as I'd like to say America has the monopoly on morons, we have a fair few here too. The real question is: who started all these weirdo crazes... ;) :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Alexander, yes, please check some out some of the programming from the U.K., as Andrew suggests. Believe me, most of the Brit sitcoms I've seen rerun ten years later on PBS are as stupid as U.S. sitcoms. And the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on credulous people who prefer pseudoscience and superstition to the critical-thinking skills advocated by Penn and Teller. And, in the interests of thread harmony, let's get back on topic folks.

Eric F

Screenwriter
BS! is a great show. Nobody's safe from their scrutiny.

I loved the one where they attacked the whole "natural/organic" food movement. I never realized was that organic farming can only feed at most 2-billion of the world's population. Sheds a whole new light on the subject.

The chiropractor one was particularly interesting after having my own bad experience with one (an actual MD referred me).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
One place, among many on the web, that deal with matters that this show deals with, is www.randi.org. Randi, also a magician, is quite close to P&E...a couple of very entertaining people. 'Course, they don't get the ladies like David Copperfield does.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Yeah the chiropractor one was real disturbing, especially when the guy was working on a baby. That was sick.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Me too. I love his books (Flim Flam is great) and just about any appearance he's made on TV (didn't he frequent Carson?). He has excellent insight into the tactics and ways of the con-artists as well as those who truly believe they are "gifted", but tend to overlook their failings. He's asserted that in cases of suspected fraud, magicians are typically better suited for catching the tricks involved than scientists.

I do find that he occasionally drifts into ad hominem attacks on some of the people he is trying to debunk. I don't necessarily blame him, since some of these people are extremely unlikeable, but I find it tends to diminish his overall argument when he does that...

Looking forward to an eventual Penn and Teller DVD release. I'd buy it first day.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Looks like March 30th is the potential release date for a "Box Set" of Penn & Teller's show. This according to the updated listings at eFilmCritic.

Excellent...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks