Penn & Teller Consider ‘Alien Abductions’—and more

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lew Crippen, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I read in the Dallas Morning News yesterday that Showtime began telecasting a series debunking such things as Alien Abductions and other such items. This has apparently been on for at least a couple of weeks.

Title of the show is: Penn & Teller: BULLSHIT. It’s shown Friday’s at 10 (CST), repeated on the following Thursday.

Has anybody seen this?

The like to the Showtime doc is here.

2. Michael St. Clair

I have the first 2 eps on the Tivo but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

3. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

The first one on mediums like John Edward was so biting and incisive that it almost hurt to watch at times. It was also hilarious but in a "can you believe what a total loser dips**t this guy is?" sort of way. They did stuff like film the medium in action and intersperse commentary that pointed out what the game was. Penn was so angry I thought he was going to explode and bits of him would cover Teller. I liked it!

Future topics will include alien abductions as you noted, bottled water (!), feng shui, young-earth creationism and more. Everyone will be offended.

I should make it clear that the "loser" being referred to above were the mediums, not the people they exploit. P&T seemed to have geniune sympathy for the people in grief.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I was wondering if anyone else was watching this show.

I've been entertained by the two episodes so far - the fakers who talk to dead people and the quacks who practice alternative medicine. The alternative medicine episode was better, maybe just because they had snails crawling around on people's faces. The alien episode this week looks to be hilarious.

But while I've been entertained, I've also been slightly disappointed. It's my own fault really. I was hoping for something longer than 1/2 hour that would really educate the viewing audience as to the scientific method and why the subjects of the show are really bullshit. But alas, education is not something one should expect from any TV show. P&T's Bullshit is fun for we skeptics but I doubt it will change the mind of anyone in the believer camp.

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Nothing will change the minds of people truly in the believer camp. I was discussing John Edwards with a coworker, and was shocked to find that he was a true believer. We discussed it for an hour, and I explained a lot of the methods of these quacks, from cold reading to the ones who conveniently don't mention the questionnaires people fill out, or their audience plants. He still insisted it was real, so for the fun of it I, without any actual training, attempted a cold read on him. When I turned out to be pretty accurate--at least as good as some of the readings I've seen on the one show, not John Edwards (who I haven't watched more than once or twice), but the pudgier guy with the mustache who looks like a car salesman--he actually insisted that I must have some sort of latent ability, and that I'm just too close-minded to admit it. That being said, I really wish I had Showtime so I could see this show. I've always enjoyed P&T (they're great in person), and debunking shows are usually pretty fun.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'd love to watch this, especially to see the Biggest Douche in the Universe (Edwards) get zapped [​IMG]

Young-Earth Creationism is another one I can' wait to see

My friend looks exactly like Penn, it's scary. And he's also as big and tall as Penn and anyone who mentions it gets hurt [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks guys. I guess I’ll go for the entertainment. Plus, even though I know that I’ll never change anyone’s mind, it is always helpful to have some information at hand as to how some of this is done.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I just can't take the one who talks (the fat one, not sure if he is Penn or Teller). I don't like his cocaine-spoon pinky nail which he paints red. Maybe it is for something else, like picking his nose. But it puts me off.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The fat one is Penn.

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Having seen Penn and Teller in Vegas, I was truly impressed by how gracious they were to the audience. Penn made a point of thanking the audience, saying "When we are on the road, we are often the only show in town, so people come to see us. But here in Vegas, we know you have hundreds of choices in entertainment. We are truly honored that your chose us!".

Then, after the show, they ran to the lobby, where they signed every autograph, posed for every picture, and talked with the audience. While I was waiting to get Teller's autograph, an older woman wanted her photo taken. He posed with her, but her husband was having trouble getting the camera to work. It took almost 30 seconds for the husband to get the camera working. During that time, she apologized to Teller for it taking so long, to which he replied, "Nonsense. We'll wait as long as it takes until he can get a good picture!"

That's class!

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That would be my big reason to stay for that, to get Kazin a picture signed by Penn "To my twin, Kazin" and then wrap it enough to allow getaway time [​IMG]

13. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

My wife and I got to see them locally a few years ago, and they were great in person. I was chosen as a volunteer to go up on stage and help with a trick, which was a great experience. While showing me where to stand, Teller said "Ok, stand here." My jaw fell open, and I said, "My God, you talked!" He just grinned and said, "come on, now, get over it, we've got a show to do". I've been a fan since I was a kid, so this was a truly unsettling moment for me.

They did an informal meet & greet at intermission where they just came out in the audience, stood in the aisles halfway back, and talked to everyone who came up to them. We spent most of our time with Teller since everyone else was surrounding Penn (I think most people figured Teller wouldn't be speaking). Teller was fantastic. He was quite friendly, and very talkative. We finally made our way over to Penn. He was also quite friendly, but much louder. He struck me as having a naturally larger-than-life personality. He told some amusing stories, and was very gracious to all the fans. After the show, they came out again for autographs, which was a bit more rushed than the intermission, but still a lot of fun.

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

15. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I saw them in Vegas a few years back [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They put on a great show. My personal favorite trick was "Mofo the Pyschic Gorilla" [​IMG]

16. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

This series has been picked up for a second run of 13. Expect it back on Showtime in March.

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I love the show also. The one with Fen Shui and bottled water was great. I saw them on Broadway about 12 years ago. They also came out after the show and during the intermission. Very nice and gracious.

18. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Im sad that I missed the New Earth Creationist episode. Though after watching the one on second hand smoke I was saying "PLEASE PUT A SCIENTIST ON" for them to say that there was no link to cancer from Second Hand Smoke I was about to tear through my TV and have at them. They made it seem as if the Surgeon General, ALA, AHA, etc. were a bunch of morons who ONLY had access to that one EPA report.

Otherwise a very entertaining show.

19. James Gumbart

James Gumbart Stunt Coordinator

Any talk of DVDs for this show? Not all of us get Showtime. [​IMG]

20. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

This is great news. I kept checking my tv guide to see if the episodes had started again. One of the best shows last year. The one with the hose water was the best.