What's new

Penn and Teller: Bulls***! Season Three (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Discovery does. It's called The Mythbusters. And they did the pop rocks and soda bit with a pig's stomach. They couldn't reproduce the myth with conventional means, and had to use extreme and unrealistic measures to make it even slightly work.

Myth busted.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
"Life Coaching" was fun but not as good as when Penn is really pissed off about the subject.

"Get rid of rule seven!"

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
That would be a fun one. The whole concept of confabulated memory (a related subject) would be interesting too.

On the "Conspiracy Theory" episode, I was surprised that P&T omitted the best proof we have for rebutting idiots who think we faked the moon landings - the hundreds of pounds of moon rocks that have been studied and authenticated by scientists all over the world.

--Jefferson Morris

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
They've already touched on this in both the "Hypnosis" and "Alien Abduction" shows. The ritual satanic abuse (and child sexual abuse) hysteria generally emerged from the same "recovered" (confabulated) memory thing that often relied on the heightened suggestibility of the person submitting to hypnosis, reinforced by group-think in group therapy sessions (or even alien abduction conferences!)and other pseudo-psychiatric techniques. It's a fascinating subject, and those practices certainly set off more than a little mass hysteria in North America, but the whole enterprise is so completely discredited at this point that I wonder if they'd consider it a worthwhile topic? Plus, it's a very broad subject for 30 minutes.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
[c]- Holier Than Thou -[/c]

Interesting episode. I never really cared to find out things about Gandhi, Mother Theresa or the Dali Lamma, so when I heard the things P&T discussed, I was kind of shocked. Like Gandhi hating blacks for instance.

But throughout the episode, whenever I saw Gandhi, all I could think of was "UHF" and this quote "Gimme a steak; Medium-rare!"
and when I saw the Dali Lamma all I could think of was the Beastie Boys.

Next Week's episode "College" looks interestingly funny... Or sad, depending how you want to look at it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent episode, though a mild tonic to the usual fauning rhapsodies we get from the press. Still, Mother Theresa's grim take on Christian mercy and predilection for gladhanding oppressors should be no surprise to most, but it was great to see Hitchens holding court with his endless series of fags and scotch. Cranky contrarians like him used to be as American as the Bill of Rights, but now it seems we have to import 'em all from England.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Well that certainly was interesting. I had heard about the church fudging their own rules in an effort to fast track Agnes for sainthood. But it certainly puts a different spin on the images you have of those characters.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Last night's episode on the suppression of free speech on college campuses is going to ruffle a few feathers, I think.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A fun episode. Reminded me of college hilarity/insanity.

Of course P&T left out a lot- like how righ-wing institutions train college kids to use the liberal environments of some colleges to train for their Washington careers (breeding the likes of Karl Rove). And while I never understood the cult of Chomsky, it was dissappointing to slam him based on so little of what he said.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Seriously I think the main problem with these shows if they are too short for the subject they are doing.

I liken Bullshit! a little to South Park, never seen that on TV before!

I am of course referring to uncensored unobscured genital waxing. OW.

I thought there was something fishy about Penn's Goat, but he had been growing one throughout the season.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I probably can't say too much about the Gun Control episode tonight without getting this thread locked, so I'll stick with:

:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It was entertaining as always, but I can't imagine anyone who's for gun control being convinced by this episode. The vast majority of people aren't thinking about overthrowing the government.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw this show last night for the first time during the free preview ("Endangered Species Act" and "The Best"). I loved it! Made me laugh out loud several times. I've never seen advocates on TV more in tune with what I think on a broad range of issues. I may have to get season sets. :)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

Robert, if there's one forum member I could recommend this show to it would be you. Buy them and enjoy.

PS. NEW EPISODES STARTING THIS WEEK!

Brad

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If the free preview lasts long enough (supposed to be through 4/3) there might be two more episodes monday night.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
And one of them is actually new. This week, Penn & Teller handle the Boy Scouts. No, wait, that just sounded wrong. They tackle the .... no. Oh, hell, you know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks