What's new

Penalties on cashing out a CD (cert. of Dep) (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What kind of penalties would I incur if I wanted to cash out a CD before it's maturity? I got a 9 month CD in late '04 that I missed the renewal cause I was on vacation when the maturity came. It got automatically renewed to another CD but for 1 year this time in early august. What penalties would I incur if I was to cash it out. I'm buying a house and would love to use some of it for my downpayment and closing costs...

Thanks,
Jay

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Completely down to the terms of the contract on the CD, Jay. Check your paperwork or call your bank.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'd be shocked if you get all of your principal back. I would guess you'll take a 10% hit.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I suppose it depends on the bank that issued it. I looked at two banks today and for CD's issued for 6 months-3 years, the early withdrawl penalty is only the interest accrued over the past 90 days.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The 10% penalty is common for retirement investments, but it's confiscated by the IRS, not by the bank. And since Jay gave no indication that this CD is for some kind of retirement fund (right, Jay?), then there would be no such penalty, unless Jay happened to pick the worst bank ith the worst terms in Western civilization. (Hey, I used to bank there myself. :b)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes you're right BrianW. I had retirement on the brain for some reason.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I just checked the disclosure sheet tonight, it says:

For CDs that mature in 3-1 year: 3 months interest
For CDs that mature in +1 year: 6 months interest

So, since my renewed CD is for 1 year, looks like 90 days or 3 months it is..

Michael_K_Sr is the winnah!!! :)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks