Pelican System Selector Pro - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by WillG, May 9, 2004.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I just got one of these for a gift. Seems okay, has like seven ports. 3 have optical inputs. I did notice that there are no Digital Coaxial inputs. So, can I use this to hook up to my receiver with my X-Box and Gamecube? How is the quality?

2. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    The quality seems pretty good for the price. I have my X-Box, GameCube, PlayStation2 and Dreamcast (via RGB-to-Component) all connected to me receiver through the Pelican and the sound and picture quality are good.

It's cool to be able to "mix" digital and analog into one input on my receiver, i.e. have optical digital (X-Box, PS2) and analog RCA (GameCube, Dreamcast) going into just one input on my receiver. Have many inputs on my Denon 3803 but I'm using almost all of them so it's an important feature for me to just have the cables coming just from the Pelican switcher.

I also have a 5th DVD player hooked up to the pelican. Although X-Box, GameCube, PlayStation2 and DVD 480p looks great throught the Pelican, I have not tried true HD signals like 720p or 1080i so I can't comment on their quality.

I only wished I could have got the silver version instead to better match my other components. Other than that, I really like this unit for its great price/performance/quality ratio.

P.S. The ethernet inputs are great too. I'm using a wireless network connecting the X-Box, PlayStation2 and GameCube to the Pelican and the Pelican to a Netgear WGE101 Wireless Bridge which is "connected" to my router and cable modem. Being able to have the ethernet switched along with the Audio and Video between systems is a great feature too.
    Also, I almost forgot - having the front audio/video inputs on the Pelican (including Component!) is awesome to me because my 3803 doesn't have front inputs (new 3805 does but just moves one set of A/V inputs from the back instead of adding an additional pair). No digital audio input on the front though but that's ok with me.

3. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

The quality is pretty good i also have my x-box, playstation2 and cube, the hi def is good also no noticable degrade in picture quality, i'd say its a good investment especally for its price.

4. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Would I be better off with this, or just using my receiver's built in switch (Im getting either the yammie 2400 or the new Denon 3805)

Thanks!

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Question, how do the audio hookups for the X-Box and Gamecube work. I know Playstation has an optical output. But don't you need Digital Coaxial for the other systems. The System Selector Pro does not have Digital Coaxial inputs.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer