Peeve: Costco checking the receipt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Gates, Aug 19, 2002.

1. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

I have a peeve: Costco checks my receipt on the way out, causing me to wait in yet ANOTHER line just to get outta the store.

There's a sign by the door that basically says they are checking receipts to insure I got all the items I paid for. WHAT A LOAD. They are checking to make sure I didn't steal anything. I wish they'd just say that.

I wonder how many people they actually confront with theft as a result of checking the receipt?

Probably just acts as a deterrent to the most lazy and stupid of criminals.

It seems every time I go into Costco, something that smacks of poor customer service makes me promise to never return, but I keep getting drawn in by the excellent pizza... :b

Peeved,

John G

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yeah but, you don't need to go into the store for the pizza.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    That's why after the free membership...Sam's Club can kiss my ass!

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

They always check it so lazily too, just a glance in the cart and they mark the receipt. I doubt they'd see whether I stole anything anyway, so I wish they wouldn't check, it's just a hassle.
    But yes, their pizza and their hot dogs (I love Hebrew National!) are great. [​IMG] Their frozen youghurt is excellent too.
    /Mike

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually it's to prevent people from re-using their receipt to get more of the same stuff on the receipt. If the receipt isn't marked, theoretically someone could go out the door, and pass off the receipt to someone else who goes and gets the same items and walks right on out without paying for the second set of items.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

7. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the receipt checker actually saved me once. I bought some party supplies(beer, chips, beer, hotdogs, beer, and hamburgers), and it turns out that I was charged for 9 packs of beer instead of the eight that I had. When the guy offered to run to the register and credit me, I just told him to get me another pack of beer[​IMG] .

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I don't mind it so much. I usually shop at off-peak hours, and with my renewal next year with my parents, I'll be on the corporate account so I can go in earlier than the rest of the regular members.

Heck, Best Buy now checks all the receipts, at least in the stores in Los Angeles...

9. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I can be so naive sometimes. The scam Patrick mentions never occurred to me. I was always just annoyed by the practice. Duh!

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I've been to both Best Buy and Target stores where they check receipts, especially on larger ticket items.

11. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i heard that it is not legal for them to do so and you can refuse and just walk on by. anyone ever try this?

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Home Depot & Fry's do this to me as well. It never takes me to long, so I don't mind.

13. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

it really gripes my ass to have my receipt checked on the way out the door. my least favorite example is a purchase i made at best buy, the register was the one closest to the door and the receipt checker stood at the end of the counter, watched the entire transaction and then had to look into the bag while he checked the receipt. i literally didn't have to move from the counter to give him the receipt, when did he think i had an opportunity to put anything in the bag?

14. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If it's just to mark the receipt so it can't be re-used, couldn't that be done by the cashier? What would the difference be?

17. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The ONLY purpose for these checks is to prevent shoplifting. Don't believe anything else. If you are offended by that, then shop elsewhere. Unfortunately its a sad fact that enough people do shoplift that they have to put these measures in place.

If it's just to mark the receipt so it can't be re-used, couldn't that be done by the cashier? What would the difference be?

Often the cashiers aren't directly adjacent to the door, and in any case aren't watching the exit. Thus this doesn't stop someone from just bypassing them with the load of identical items. Only by having a checker right at the door marking the goods does this security work.

18. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

19. MatthewLei

MatthewLei Extra

Best buy does this too. By law you don't have to let them check you at the door on the way out. Everytime I go there I just walk right past the guy and keep going. Sometimes they follow you , sometimes they dont. Just keep going [​IMG]