Peerless XLS w/PR or . . . your suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kendal Kirk, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I have finally decided that it is time to get the .1 in my 6.0 system. After reviewing the PartsExpress site I came upon this sub http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...297-608&DID=7. In conjunction with the peerless PR, it looks like a good combo.
    Has anyone used these drivers? I did a search and found that someone used a shiva and saved $20.
    I have no software to plot out the specs and optimum box,etc. so if someone would like to help out a first time HT sub builder, knock yourself out!!
    THX

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I haven't used them, but the Peerless XLS subs look sweet for someone look for reasonable output and a small box. Think about using them as sealed w/EQ (ask around on the Madisound board about this option), passive radiator w/ one PR (best all around solution IMO), passive radiator w/ two PRs (more output/power handling down low but at increased cost). Here's a quick sim of what you can expect from the XLS 12" with one 12" PR with the stock mass in a 40L enclosure with a 2nd order LP filter @ 80Hz:
    www.hayenga.com/mark/XLS12wPR.gif

3. curtis couch

curtis couch Auditioning

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

5. I think Mark has the most applicable statement for you

"the Peerless XLS subs look sweet for someone look for reasonable output and a small box. "

if this is for a smallish room, it should work find.....for a large room, I personally would look elsewhere. you will hear a decent rumble from it, just not those earth shaking passes that hake you go "oh $hit!.that was sweet!"

6. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    Rick Craig, well-known on the MAD and PE boards, recently released his "Whomp!" sub using an XLS in a sealed enclosure and KG-5230 plate amp, complete with the stock +4 dB EQ.