Pee-Wee's Playhouse coming to Adult Swim!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brenton, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Jun 25, 2002
    I was watching Adult Swim last night, and there was a sneaky little commercial that came on playing the jungle-ish music from the introduction to Pee-Wee's Playhouse (the several seconds before the song actually starts). The commercial was just a black screen with the phrase "Remember This?", then it said "Coming July 10".

Mighty sneaky of them not to identify the show by name, but I recognized the music immediately and almost jumped out of my bed with excitement.
  2. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Jun 9, 2001
    I have them all on DVD so it's not too exciting for me but what is exciting is the exposure (no pun intended) that this could bring to the Pee-wee character. If this does well we could see Paul Reubens play Pee-wee for the first time in nearly 15 years. He wants to do two Pee-wee movies, one an all mo-cap CGI "Playhouse" adventure for kids and the other being a more adult-oriented comedy about Pee-wee's rise and fall.

It could also help get the "special edition" version from Image released. The bare-bones sets have been out for over a year and a half and there hasn't been a peep about any future releases but that could change now that the show is being seen by audiences for the first time since they originally aired with the exception of a brief run on Fox Family in '98.

In any case, the timing certainly helps Image's release of "The Pee-wee Herman Show" on DVD 8 days after the Adult Swim premiere.