What's new

Pee-Wee's Playhouse abandoned? (1 Viewer)

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on the 2005 (supposed to) release of Pee Wee that was all eps in one box, with Reubens special features?

No word from Image Ent and I wonder if I should just pick up the existing boxes and stop waiting.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I, like many others, put off buying the season sets waiting for the promised (or was it just rumored) special editions. I did however just watch the christmas special this weekend for the first time since it aired years ago. If the special editions are mainly supposed to feature commentaries then I don't think I'm going to be impressed. There were 2 commentaries on the christmas dvd which added up to very little. Paul, in fact, was the worst of the all commentators. He had virtually nothing to say. As if he'd run the craft service table instead of having been the creator, writer and star of the show. The puppeteers gave a much better commentary.

If the special editions are going to have docs or deleted footage then I'll hold out for them. But how long do they expect loyal fans to wait on something that they were told about a long time ago ?

mr.hulot

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
I stumbled across this entry at IMDb and it definitely sounds as tho the special editions are a long, long way off even if they happen at all. Paul Reubens is quoted as saying "I was supposed to be working on the collector's edition, which was going to have lots of extras, tons of funny outtakes, never-seen-before footage and lots of interviews with all the actors and actresses who played characters," he said.
"I never got it together. But it's still in the works, along with a complete documentary, both about a year away."

I've been holding off from buying the season sets for what seems like an eternity now so I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Could anyone who already owns these please tell me, is the transfer quality as bad as I've read.
There have only ever been a handful of reviews for this series with less than enthusiastic words for the picture quality. As I'll be having these delivered to Australia (so the costs won't be cheap) and after spending way too much buying the video editions am I just better off watching these? Any advice would be much appreciated.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It sounds to me like the collectors edition might be ready as soon as next year from that article.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
That's the vibe I got from the article as well. I've continued holding off purchasing the existing sets with the hopes that this collector's edition will be forthcoming. Judging by that article, I have a feeling it'll definitely happen. Whether it'll be next year or not remains to be seen. I had no idea there was so much material that could be used. the outakes and the unseen footage should be great to watch. I'm also interested in the interviews from cast members.

I've been chomping at the bit for these sets and I almost caved in a few times where the existing releases are concerned, but I've waited patiently. If all of the aforementioned material is implemented, I have a feeling that the wait will definitely pay off.

John*D

Second Unit
FYI --> If you don't want to wait. DDD has a sale going on for both Vol's for $19.19 each...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks