Pee Wee Herman HBO Special?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haden, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Anyone remember the old Pee Wee Herman HBO comedy special from the early 80s that was the forerunner for his first film and the later kids show "Pee Wee's Playhouse"? This is sometimes run on Comedy Central in a shortened/censored form with a lot of the adult humor cut out. It even had Phil Hartman as one of the characters. I hate how much Comedy Central has butchered the show and would love to see the uncut version again that I remember seeing on HBO nearly 20 years ago. I distinctly recall a big segment where he went into the audience and brought a woman up on stage and supposedly "hypnotized" her into taking her clothes off, then she say in the audience for hte rest of the show wearing only her undergarments. It was really funny.

I used to watch this on HBO in 1983/84. It was darker and edgier and more adult than anything he did afterward, and extremely hilarious. Does Warners own the rights to this classic special and is there any hope of the full uncut show being released on DVD? It's a shame it wasn't included as an extra on the Pee Wee's Big Adventure DVD.

2. George See

George See Second Unit

I vaguely remember that one. I'd love to see all those old And new HBO comedy specials released on DVD at some point. I remember one of them was Opening night at Rodneys place (or some such thing) It had Rodney Dangerfield hosting several up and coming stand up comics includding Tim Allen pre Home Improvement. The whole show was A riot. How about Billy Crystal Midnight Train to Moscow...I'd love to see that one too I had a videotape of it but it's since gone missing. Some of the new specials would be great too like the Recent Robin Williams special. How do the rights for these things work? Does HBO own the rights or The Artists? Or does HBO own the rights for A certain amount of time and then the rights revert to the artists?

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Mecca-lecca-hi Mecca-heini-ho!

Count me in!

4. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

I have that one on VHS: "The Pee Wee Herman Show".

Wasn't it supposed to be included on the "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" DVD and wasn't?

"I'm the luckiest boy in the world. It's true. I'm luckier than you!"

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I remember that one. Funny as hell. Didn't he put a mirror on his shoe and was looking up Miss Wyvonne's dress at some point?

6. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I have this on VHS! I found it some number of years ago in the bargain bin and couldn't pass it up. Honestly I don't think I'd buy it on DVD because I didn't find it as funny as his kid friendly stuff.

Gregory

7. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Digital cable owners who have multi-channel HBO might want to take note of this. Every once in a while, HBO Comedy shows this comedy special. It has been a few months, but they might show it again. Anyone who has this channel on their digital cable might want to keep their eyes peeled for this special because it might be on again.

8. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    This Thursday (8/15), HBO Comedy will show the Pee-Wee Herman HBO special from 1981 twice that day. You can catch it at 8:00am or 10:00pm that night. Just thought you might want to know.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the tip, Nick! I'd still like to have this special on DVD though!
    "I'm flyyyyyyyyying!!" [​IMG]

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Yes, thanks for the tip! Guess I'll just have to preserve it on video tape for now... [​IMG]