Peculiar XP issue- HD light always active?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've been wondering about this-

After my PC is on for a period of time, the HD light comes on and stays on- solid. There doesn't seem to be any HD activity, nor any on any of the other drives. This is under WinXP, and it seems to happen after I wake the monitor. I do not have the computer go totally into the sleep mode, just the monitor.

For reference, I have:

1. 45GB on primary 1

2. IDE Zip on primary 2

3. Toshiba DVD on Secondary 1

4. Ricoh CD-R/RW on secondary 2

The MB is an Asus P3V4X with the Via Apollo 133A chipset.

Any ideas?

Todd

2. PhilM

PhilM Extra

but the drive doesn't sound like its spinning? if its not spinning, don't worry about it, blam XP.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the light is hardwired from the ide to the light via the MOBO, the Operating System would have nothing to do with it.

I haven't traced the leads or looked exactly how that works- but it seemed to me that this connection was a hardware connection- the light was wired directly to the device.

Could be wrong.

-Vince

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The light is plugged into the MOBO. I'm using onboard IDE.

It's not the hardware. This system has seen 98, ME, and now XP, and this is the first time this has happened.

The drives are definitely not spinning all the time. I upgraded the VIA 4in1 from 4.28 to 4.35, but that didn't help. I suppose I'll just live with it.

Todd