Peckinpah

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Anthony, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

"If they're still not out on dvd...kill 'em"!!! ;-)

Warner have done wonder's with back catalogue gems, but seem to have overlooked this genius's work, now with the endorsement of Criterion in their superlative edition of Straw Dogs - perhaps it is time for his work to be re-evaluated, with the aid of some brand new shiny dvd's?!

Oooo and it's the 35th anniversary of the wild bunch next year...

I would love to see:

A 2 disc edition of the Wild-Bunch, in anamorphic this time

The full director's cut of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, including the 2mins of footage not incorporated into the 1986 122 min "restoration", Roger Spottiswode the films editor knows where this footage is and how to re-cut it back in..

A remaster of The Getaway, as the current dvd frankly sucks in quality.

Cross of Iron was released by Warner & Canal Plus in england, perhaps Warner US can obtain the rights too - I'm not sure if the Pal 126 min 16*9 version on this dvd, is the full-length or not.

Thats's not forgetting Ride The High Country, Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Major Dundee (c'mon columbia..) & The Ballad of Cable Hogue

There's a box set waiting to happen here..

M

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Amen; though with two excellent versions of Straw Dogs (R1 and R2) in my collection, and a two-disc The Osterman Weekend on the way from Anchor Bay, I'm happy that Peckinpah is finally being recognised on DVD. At the very least, SEs of The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett must appear at some time (surely!), but I'm kicking myself I didn't get AB's R1 of Junior Bonner (the R2 is 4:3; ughh!) while it was still in print.

---
    So many films, so little time...

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

That is good news about The Osterman Weekend being a 2 discer, any links though

[​IMG]

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I agree that we need more Peckinpah films. I started a thread about this in Studio Feedback a few weeks ago but it didn't seem to produce much interest.

Click Here to add your support

5. Robb H H

Robb H H Extra

Has anyone seen the new DVD release of Convoy? Just wondering if it was worth picking up.

6. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid MUST happen, oh yes..

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia on a DVD and I'll take a side order of The Ballad of Cable Hogue

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aren't MGM going to release a remaster of Junior Bonner later in the year? I'm sure I read that in a few places a few months back.

MGM also own the rights to Alfredo Garcia and I'd LOVE to own a high-quality DVD of this masterpiece. Oates is such an icon to me.

Pat Garrett is LONG overdue on DVD. Coburn has unforunately passed away, so no participation from the Big Man. But Kristofferson was a buddy of Peckinpah and I'm sure he's contribute an interview and/or commentary. Spottiswoode's thoughts would also be welcome.

Gordy

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'll ditto all of those, especially Alfredo Garcia and Cross of Iron (the current DVD sucks).

10. Takayuki Kihara

Takayuki Kihara
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is available on DVD in Japan in all anamorphic glory (and this is a print supplied by MGM), and looks simply gorgeous. Of course, MGM should release it in the U.S., though.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

This links through to AB's UK website and confirms that a two-disc set is on the way; I expect the R1 to be exactly the same (though on the AB US site the 'In The Future' page has been mysteriously missing for some weeks).

---
    So many films, so little time...

12. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

The UK R2 Cross of Iron is the full length version as
    far as I know. It is 132 minutes and 17 secs when
    converted from 25fps (PAL) to 24fps (NTSC/Film).
    It looks (16x9/1.85:1) and sounds (original mono) ok
    so if you can play R2, go and get it!

13. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    In addition to the films, I'd like to see collected editions of Peckinpah's TV work: all 13 episodes of THE WESTERNER; NOON WINE; THE LOSERS, and key episodes of GUNSMOKE, TRACKDOWN, and THE RIFLEMAN.

14. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Gotta have a WILD BUNCH special edition. The documentary on the first release is good, but the disc is a flipper and the main feature has a side break. I am sure someone could do a splendid, informative commentary track, and other supplements could be found in order to provide us with another super-dooper Warner 2-disc set. CROSS OF IRON is already (sort of) out on DVD, but is emasculated (pan and scan) and needs a good restoration. RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY belongs to Warners... maybe they will do once of their thematic multiple releases featuring Peckinpaw films the way they've done with genre titles.