peavey amp as a subwoofer amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Stein, Jan 20, 2003.

1. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

so i just bought a peavey cs 400 stereo power amp really cheaply beacuse the one channel isnt working correctly and the owner didnt feel like fixing it.

anyways, even if i cant get the other channel working (which i think i probably can fix anyways, given the number of my friends which are in bands and fix their own equipment) i will have one channel that can push 200wpc at 4ohms. THD seems to be similar to say the samson amps that are sold with SVS subwoofers.

so if i were to buy a CS sub from svs or another unpowered sub would i be able to use this amp to power the sub or are there differences between PA amps and sub amps that i am not aware of?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The Peavey will work just fine. The Samson and Crown amps sold in SVS packages are PA amps, too. The only things you will lose, compared to plate amps, are features such as an adjustable crossover and phase control.

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

well thats cool, i dont mind letting my reciever do the crossover type stuff.

thanks.