What's new

Pearl Jam's new album... (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I can never figure out radio stations. Except for Ten, every bit of brilliance on each album seems to be ignored in favour of other songs. The station here plays Elderly Woman and Dissident more than I care to count. Non album tracks like Crazy Mary, Yellow Ledbetter and Last kiss get more airplay than most of their album content.

This one will probably get a good amount of play before getting dropped, just like Nothing as it Seems, Given to Fly, and Who You Are. Then the second single, no matter how brilliant, will be ignored.

One of these they have to pick a good rocker as a single.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Back in 1996, I was convinced that if PJ released "Hail Hail" as a single, they would blow everything off of rock radio. Just knock it out of the water. I just knew it. In theory, it was released, but I never got to hear it on radio.
The same can be said w/ other 'rockers' off their more recent albums. "Grievance", after being played on the David Letterman show a few years ago, made me happy to be a rock fan. Was it released as a single? No. Would it have done well? Maybe. Would it have received any airplay after it's initial month? No way.
Hell, I figured "Light Years" would get tons of airplay, but after a few weeks of light to moderate (in this area) it was yanked in favor of the 10,000th playing of Yellow Ledbetter or Jeremy.
These days, the radio stations in my town (Lexington, KY) are totally devoid of any kind of uniqueness. The 'alt rock' station recently switched formats to 'Real Rock', becoming the third or forth station in the area to play non-stop Aerosmith, Metallica, Led Zep, type music, so I have little hope of hearing "I Am Mine" on my local radiowaves.
It used to be important to me to hear new Pearl Jam on the radio, but it isn't anymore. By the time I have the album, what does it matter? Most, if not all, radio stations don't give a damn what their listeners get to hear, they just play whatever some market study said that the demographic they play to wants to hear, and so they play the same tunes you've heard over and over and over again, despite the fact that the band's more recent works are filled with more emotion, power, and musical talent than whatever riff filled powerballad they came up with 11 years ago.
Call me jaded, I don't care;)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
despite the fact that the band's more recent works are filled with more emotion, power, and musical talent than whatever riff filled powerballad they came up with 11 years ago.
UUUUUHhh, I like Pearl Jam and all, but any objective fan of the Jam knows this is just not true. I'd say it's the other way around.

ace peterson

Second Unit
Wow! This is great news! That tearfully joyous day in November is going to be an expensive one!

Touching on the radio business of Pearl Jam, all I ever hear played is 'Betterman.' Which, don't get me wrong, is a terrific song, but play some variety please! I WISH I got to hear Yellow Bedletter, but that is why I have the CD I guess. Yeah, they don't play songs for Pearl Jam fans, just those 'hip' people who like pop music.

I've got to say 'Binaural' is growing on me. The more that disc plays the more and more I like it! It's getting more and more difficult to put their discs in my 'favorite order.' One thing I do find weird is that scuffling noise at the very end of the disc. What's that supposed to be?

OK, I'm on my way to checking out this new single. This is great!

Ace

JohnE

Supporting Actor
All this talk of PJ, got me to thinking how cool it would be for them to release a live dvd. Has there ever been any talk about this?

ace peterson

Second Unit
Kidding right? Touring Band 2000.
Never mind, I found out at the end of Binaural that's supposed to be Eddie typing with writer's block. Ahhhh, that makes more sense now.;)

ace peterson

Second Unit
Is there a site that's playing 'I Am Mine' that is not using a *.rm? For some reason, that's not cooperating with my computer.

Thanks in advance.
Ace

ace peterson

Second Unit
Jason, it looks like they took it off that site. I couldn't get into the Jukebox without permission. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Ace said:
Touching on the radio business of Pearl Jam, all I ever hear played is 'Betterman.' Which, don't get me wrong, is a terrific song, but play some variety please! I WISH I got to hear Yellow Bedletter, but that is why I have the CD I guess. Yeah, they don't play songs for Pearl Jam fans, just those 'hip' people who like pop music.
That's odd, because all I ever hear on the radio around these parts is Yellow Ledbetter and the other big hits from the "Ten" era. Occasionally they'll play Daughter or Dissident from "Vs," or Betterman, but never anything else off of "Vitalogy" or later albums. For that reason alone, these are some of my least appreciated PJ songs...

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Here, too, in the OKC area, just about the only PJ song I've heard on the radio over the past few years has been "Yellow Ledbetter". Don't think I've ever heard anything past Vs., either.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The I Am Mine MP3 shouldn't be too tough to find. I got mine off of the Peal Jam Binaries newsgroup, should be able to find it on P2P services by now I'm sure.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
New Rumor Pit is up (and seems to be getting hit hard - it took a long time for me to get to the page)...
The big facts are:
- Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and Japan are all under consideration for next years tour
- Live Bootlegs of ALL shows of the upcoming tour WILL be released
- PJ WILL appear on Letterman to promote their new album (around mid Nov).

JQ

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
What's really awesome is this...
Pearl Jam will be performing two days on the Late Show with David Letterman in mid-November!
:D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
2 DAYS? -In a row?
Remember when they were on SNL and they had like 45 minutes of the show (if not more) to themselves? Has that every happened again (or prior to that)?

I downloaded the 'I Am Mine' mp3. Good, for sure, but not the best PJ I've ever heard. Good enough to get me amped about the new release.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I dunno if it was 45 minutes, but they did get to do 3 songs, and was probably the best use of time SNL has ever had :)
That show was amazing.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't Springsteen or McCartney or somebody like that recently play Letterman two days in a row? Maybe it's a trend?

I've always wanted Dave to do an interview w/ the band. I've seen him talk w/ other musicians in the past (Tom Waits, Elvis Costello) and it's always a hoot. If anyone saw Eddie's surprise appearance singing 'Black' a few years ago, you could just tell that Dave is a big EV fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks