What's new

Pearl Jam Official "Bootlegs" 2000 Tour (1 Viewer)

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey HTF Jammers,
I was just rocking out to Pearl Jam's Vegas show from 10/22/00 (#62, their 10th anniversary show) & wondered which of their official live "bootlegs" you enjoyed the most?
I was lucky enough to go to the Cincinnati & Columbus shows on their 2000 tour--and have both of those excellent bootlegs as well, though I think that the Vegas show & the second Seattle show (#72, 11/6/00) might be the most entertaining (too bad I wasn't there live).
Their new album should be out by the end of the year (November, according to their official Rumor Pit) and another tour is to follow next year....CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Jarrod,

I've got a bunch of them, but my favorite is Hala Tivoli, #18 pretty much because it has Indifference on it. I've seen them live 5 times (Jones Beach, NY from the boots) and they never played it. If it had Release it would be perfect.

Looking very forward to November, but I'm a little disappointed about their putting off the rarities album till 2003. I was really looking forward to that one.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Binaural was such a dissapointment. God I hope they come out with something better, more like there old days. And for crying out loud, play some god damn lead guitar Mike McCready. PJ's biggest mistake was firing Dave Abbruzzese. He kept them all together and made EVERY SINGLE PJ song sound 10 times better than any of their other drummers. matt cameron sucks as a PJ drummer, although he kicked ass as a soundgarden drummer. he butchers pj's songs with such a medicore style, but only in the context of PJ's songs, not soundgardens'.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Carl:
Don't know what this has to do w/ the 2000 bootlegs, but I disagree w/ you on just about every point. You're entitled to your opinion, and that's well & good, but I simply disagree...
By the time PJ recorded "Vitalogy," "Abbruzzese had become a pariah within the band, and had they not ousted him there would have been no Pearl Jam after 1995(although, with "more like their old days" comments, I doubt that would bother you much.
Personally, I didn't feel "Binaural" was as strong an album as "Yield" or "No Code," but I don't think I would call it a disappointment. If they regressed the days of Ten and Abbruzzese, then I would be a VERY disappointed PJ fan.
To sum up, I wouldn't hold my breath for another Jeremy or Yellow Ledbetter if I were you.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'm not asking for another "Jeremy" or "Yellow", I just want them to start playing like MUSICIANS. Another thing, why don't their albums SOUND good anymore? For some reason, they're stuck on this raw type sound which is terrible. Jesus, don't they care how their studio album is going to sound? I mean, a studio album, or any album for that matter is permanent! Eddie needs to OPEN HIS MOUTH and stop mumbling. I used to be a die hard PJ fan, but ever since they just gave up on song writing and musicianship, it's really hard to appreciate them like I used to. I will however buy their new album however, cause I will always be a loyal PJ fan.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Oh, and by the way, it wasn't Dave's fault the band was having some tension or whatever the hell it was during that time. Dave was the man, and I always feel as if no one understands how much he meant to that band. I swear on my soul they would be a much better band if they got their shit together and didn't fire him. And who replaced him? FUCKING Jack Irons!?!?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was at the second mansfield, mass show (boston), and i thought it was great, my first PJ show. they opened with release, closed with rockin in the free world. and i wa happy to hear black, footsteps, and leatherman. great show. i agree that binaural wasnt their greatest album, but its up against some stiff competition. i think their best albums are ten and no code, but vs and vitalogy are great too. and of course yield, i think they are all good personally. but binaural has to be better than 95% of the crap that gets released today. cant wait for the new album

CJ

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Brian:
I think Binaural, in premise, was a very good album. There are still some cuts on there that rank w/ their best work "Insignifigance" and "Grievance" being what stands out most for me, but for some reason it just didn't gel. I don't know if it was the formula of everyone in the band contributing songs (as they did successfully on Yield), or the band working without Brendan O'Brien as producer, but overall the album came off as flat in places.
The odd thing is, many of those songs came off so much better live...I thought little of "Of the Girl" until hearing it live. Great show opener. And "Insignifgance," while I enjoyed it on the record, took on a whole new dimension live (the lights going down, and the music pausing for a couple of beats right in the middle became one of my highlights for the tour!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brian: Lighten up just a tad, pretty please? The nature of Jarrod's thread is to discuss the so-called "bootleg" albums, not the merits or demerits of Pearl Jam itself along with its personnel changes. Stick with the stated aim of the original post. Thank you! JB

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Same here on both counts. Have you heard either of the new songs they performed at last year's Bridge School Benifit? "I Am Mine" is wonderful, I'm very anxious to hear the studio version!
Jarrod,

No, I haven't heard them I'm sad to say. I've got one Bridge Benefit disc which is an all time favorite disc, but that's about it. Not equipped for burning CD's I'm afraid so I'm missing out on some good unreleased music I'm sure.

Out of curiosity, I've heard and read some talk about Pearl Jam having an awful show to close the American leg in Seattle, and being pissed off at the mellow crowd. What's the story behind that? I have that boot (72) and think it's terrific with The Kids are Alright and Baba O'riley on disc 3.

One of my favorite things about PJ is their covers..faithful to the original artist/version but always with a distinct Pearl Jam sound.

Oh, and for the record, this may be sacrilage to say in a place where sound quality is always a relevant issue; But there are certain bands out there which I personally don't like to hear so studio polished. Metallica (Black Album), Tool's Lateralus and Pearl Jam's Yield being just a few albums which ended up sounding a little too slick.

Some bands are meant to sound a little raw in my opinion, and I think Pearl Jam is one of them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, I've heard and read some talk about Pearl Jam having an awful show to close the American leg in Seattle, and being pissed off at the mellow crowd. What's the story behind that? I have that boot (72) and think it's terrific with The Kids are Alright and Baba O'riley on disc 3.
I believe the concert in question is the one from the PRIOR night. Haven't listened to the 3-CD concert from the final night, but I think Eddie bitches about the prior night's crowd during it. Never heard anything but raves for that last show - it's the previous one that inspired the comments...

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think I've already made my case for Yield:b, because it is one of my (if not my) favorite PJ album, but I see your point.
Tool's Lateralus doesn't have the edge that ÆNIMA possessed, as it seems like they were trying too hard to produce a masterpiece follow-up. Maybe that's what happens, I don't know...it could be argued that Metallica's Black Album is overproduced, and not as powerful as their earlier work. Personally, I've often wondered what Nirvana's "Nevermind" would have been like had it been recorded more like "Bleach" or "In Utero".
As far as PJ goes, "Vitalogy," for example, perfectly encapsulates where Pearl Jam as a band was at that point in time, raw edges and cuts and bruises and the whole nine. "No Code" was more of a genuine, gritty album. Real and honest. I think that "Binaural" may have been trying to bridge the gap between the slickness of "Yield" and the honesty of these other recent albums. I think they succeed on some tracks, but fail on others.
And Yield is a slick album...I think that's one of the reasons I've always been so rabid about it. Maybe because their other albums aren't that way so much. I'm not sure if PJ were trying to appeal to more mainstream fans with that particular album, or just wanted to go w/ the slicker, glossier sound that time out.
On a side note, I read an interview w/ PJ bassist Jeff Ament, where he expressed interest in going back and re-mixing Ten, because they were unsatisfied with the way that certain songs turned out on the album...
Even though I agree, I'll probably cry "George Lucas" if they make a decision like that....:D

RyanRogers

Auditioning
Check out the Milan,Italy show. Not necessarily the best sounding of the bunch, but the audience takes this show to new levels. Get it just to hear thousands of Italians singing along with Eddie word for word, it's pretty cool and it makes this show stand out from the others. It's my favorite after Seattle #2 and Las Vegas.

ace peterson

Second Unit
On a side note, I read an interview w/ PJ bassist Jeff Ament, where he expressed interest in going back and re-mixing Ten, because they were unsatisfied with the way that certain songs turned out on the album...
That would be interesting! Yeah, could be good & could be bad.

I have 2 bootleg discs (Nashville & Jones Beach). All I can say is I'm very sorry I've never seen them live. How awesome it would be! I'll definately look for their next tour when it comes around!

It always seems like Binaural gets bad raps from people. ALL I can say is that if you don't like it, you're not a true Pearl Jam fan. I think it's great! Now if you're comparing it to the other discs, and just say it's your least favorite of the group--- That's different! But, you should still like it.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I have a bunch of the bootlegs from the European leg that I haven't listened to in a while, Milan among them. I'll have to go back and listen again...I remember the part you're talking about...awesome.
It's too bad November is four months from now....and a tour won't begin until after that!!!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
One of my favorite things about PJ is their covers
i love pearl jam's covers, the best version of baba o'riley comes from this PJ bootleg album called jewel box 5. i think (dare i say) their version is better than the who's original. leaving here is great, as well as the kids are alright, let my love open the door, squeeze box. PJ rules

CJ

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Did they ever do a "best of" or "interesting random sampler" for all the "bootleg" shows?
Or even from the posters here, if I only wanted to get 2 or 3 of them, which would you suggest?
Or maybe even a web site review of them all?
Or something? :)
Thanks!

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely the final show, Seattle #72. It's also a three disc concert, which makes it that much more music & it's in their hometown, so they may have put in a little extra effort in each song:)
The Indianapolis show from 8/18/00, and 10/22/00 from Las Vegas (10th anniversary show) are also must-haves.
You can read reviews and get setlists of each concert on the 2000 tour here: http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t2000.shtml

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard about 14 shows of the 2000 tour, and they all seem to be consistantly good. I never was a big pearl jam fan before these were released, but I dig bands who improvise, so I had to give em a try. I also love the idea that a band would release a whole tour on CD... HOW COOL IS THAT !!!

Anyways back on topic... my two favorite recordings, and the ones I listen to the most are, #20 Milan and #14 Praha Czech Republic.

Some of the others from the American tour I think are worthy... #32 Tampa, #41 Jones Beach, # 70 Boise, and #72 Seatle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks