Pearl Harbor, why two discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Fogerty, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

I can see the extras being on a second disc. Why did they have the movie continue onto the second disc? I see no reason for it. I'm sure the whole thing would fit on one side. There was no intermission when shown in the theaters.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

3. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

They could have made it a dvd18, then it should fit.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Billy. And I know the subject has been beaten to death already. But they could have done something similar to Shrek. One disc with the entire movie in DD with extras (WS of course), and one disc with the entire movie and the DTS track.

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

What's the problem with "Shrek"? The entire movie does fit on one disc. It's just that one is widescreen and the other is pan-and-scan.

9. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I don't mind the double disc set, but my only gripe is that going through the entire menu setup thing again is useless. I can live with the intermission, but the second half should have just started immediately...without doing anything.
    All that being stated, I can overlook all of this to have a quality release and to my untrained eye, that's what we have here[​IMG]!

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Ken, I think he was citing Shrek as a positive example. Of course, what's he's proposing for Pearl Harbor (two discs in one package with identical video and different soundtracks) would eliminate all extras and be an enormous waste of space -- but hey, anything to save couch potatoes from having to rise to their feet once in a while. [​IMG]
    As an old LD collector, I always find these threads comical.
    M.

11. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Lets look at these films:

Apocalypse Now Redux and Pearl Harbor(2001)

Comparing PH to Shrek is unfair since Shrek only runs over 1 1/2 hours.

Apocalypse Now Redux is 202 minutes long and Pearl Harbor(2001) is 183 minutes long.

Pearl Harbor(2001) features dts English, Dolby Digital English & French, and Dolby Headphone English. Not to mention English subtitles captioned for the deaf & hearing impaired and Spanish subtitles. That is four soundtracks for the film and two subtitle streams.

Apocalypse Now Redux features Dolby Digital English and English subtitles. Just one soundtrack and one subtitle stream.

Now ANR has a trailer on the disc too but the disc space is not filled with extra soundtracks. Pearl Harbor has multiple soundtrack options that eat at disc space. They would have to present Pearl Harbor in Dolby Digital English & French with just the two subtitle streams to fit it on one disc. But then you would lose the dts soundtrack and the Dolby Headphone soundtrack. To present Pearl Harbor beautifully in home theaters, the decision was made to include dts, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Headphone soundtracks on the disc which then in turn requires that the film take up two discs.

Dances With Wolves from Image Entertainment features a full bit-rate dts English soundtrack and Dolby Surround soundtrack. This presentation is also served on two discs since the film runs 183 minutes.

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

13. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

I have a DVD changer. No problems here. [​IMG]

14. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

15. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Well, two points:

1. I don't know much about all the technical stuff about how much data can go on one side and how that affects image quality, etc., but I have seen a lot of DVDs lately, and to me Pearl Harbor had about the best picture quality in a long time.

2. Unfortunately, my 15-year old daughter, who knows everything now days, was the one who inserted the movie. Only problem being that she put in disc two. Not knowing anything about the movie in advance(I purposely eschew trailers that give away the whole movie), we watched most of the 2nd disc before I figured things out.

Oh, well. I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

16. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    What's funny is that if Disney had come up with some flashy name like "Ultrabits" and enclosed a little foil hologram card explaining that this revolutionary new process yeilds higher bit rates thus improved picture and sound quality, People would start bitching about every movie over 90 minutes that is not spread out over 2 discs.

17. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

18. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

19. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Das Boot R1 has Dolby Digital German, Dolby Digital English, and Dolby Surround Spanish. Since the film defaults to Dolby Digital German with English subtitles, you have to enter the menu to select the other languages or subtitle options.

20. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Didn't David Prior cover this second disc menu thing in another thread?

He said something like if the second disc started automatically and was set to DTS as default it might blow your speakers - or words to that effect.

Anyway what he said made sense! (even if I don't!)