What's new

Pearl Harbor Vista series delayed?? (1 Viewer)

David Prior

Insider
The date change had nothing to do with marketing. Michael feels very strongly that the Director's Cut (Vista Series) is the one to get and he wants it out as soon as possible. It's just that January was not possible.
Every scenario has its ups and downs. If we delay the Vista release, some will cry that marketing is trying to con people into buying both versions. If we delay the Commemorative so that it comes out at the same time as the Vista, there's the potential for consumer confusion, not to mention Pearl Harbor overload. This was one of the reasons everyone agreed from the beginning to make sure consumers knew that there were two versions in the works, and that those who bought the Commemorative would get a discount on the Vista.
Ideally they would have both been ready for December 4, but rather than try to force it by cutting supplements or rushing the work, the release was delayed. I hope you agree it was the right choice.
Cheers,
David

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, thank you ever so much for clarifying this situation!
It's friends of the HTF like you that make this forum extra-worthwhile...you come right in and cut through the BS.
When an employee at a studio says something like in the exchange I quoted above ("They admitted that they pushed the DC out till May cuz it was hurting their sales of the 2 Dec versions.."), then we hardly have a choice but to believe them, no matter how peon-ish they may be, because they are WAAAY closer to the source than consumers like us.
But when someone at the very HEART of the issue, like you, comes forward and clears things up, then things become oh so simple. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Please pass on to Michael Bay and everyone else to take heart. I will DEFINATELY buy the 3-Disc Director's Cut Vista edition, whenever it gets released. I'll hold off on all other editions, as I don't like to buy my movies twice if I can help it. I still have 200-odd unwatched DVD's anyway, with other good films hitting soon, so I won't be bored until May!
Thanks again,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

David Prior

Insider
Thanks Dave,
And to clarify, the date move may very well benefit sales, I don't know. I just wanted to point out that the reason for the move lay elsewhere.
Also, if you are a fan of the film, bear in mind that the version which comes out in December will be the theatrical cut, not the director's cut. Conversely, the Vista Series will be Michael's definitive, director's version, so it will not include the theatrical cut. Just FYI.
Cheers,
David

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The forum continues to appreciate your input here, David. Many thanks! Is Disney prepared to amend their initial press release in the near future to make people fully aware of the change?
Dan (UK)

David Prior

Insider
Thanks, Dan. I'm not a Disney employee so I can't speak for them, but I'm sure they'll do whatever is required to make people aware of the date change.
Cheers,
David

I'm REALLY excited about a director's cut. Do you think we might get to hear Ben Affleck say "You're soooo beautiful!" more than three measly times!
rolleyes.gif

Okay, sorry for the thread crapping. Let me have it. I deserve it.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I think it was really cool of Disney to tell us in advance that a Director's Cut will be released down the line.
They could've just been greedy and announced the DC after the release of the regular version.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Michael Perez: I agree, 100%...good move from BV, and that helps build my customer loyalty. Thank you!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Jonathan_

Second Unit
So is May 14th the definate date? If everything works out right will it be made available sooner? Thanks
------------------
Jonathan

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Make room on your shelves for an iffy new precedent...
The anticipated 3-disc Pearl Harbor Director's Cut release, tentatively scheduled for May, will now probably be a 4-disc release.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
The anticipated 3-disc Pearl Harbor Director's Cut release, tentatively scheduled for May, will now probably be a 4-disc release.
David Prior mentioned previously that the extras disc is heading for a DVD-18. Is the fourth disc the result of going with two DVD-9s instead, or is it down to even more extras being included?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Besides my recent purchase of Episode One, The Director's Cut of Pearl Harbor is my most anticipated upcoming title to get.
------------------

David Prior

Insider
Actually, when I mentioned that Disc 3 would be an 18, I was secretly hoping to turn it into 4 9's instead, and that is indeed what we've done. The movie and commentaries will be on discs 1 and 2, with disc 3 containing the linear-oriented supplements and disc 4 containing the more interactive oriented supplements.
4 discs were required because I couldn't bear to cut anything for time constraints -- it's all very good stuff.
Cheers,
David

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
David,
Thanks again for the information. Damn. I want this set and I want it now but I'll be waiting patiently for it.
Cool.. 4 discs.. That's going to be something.
Mark
Link Removed

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap!
eek.gif
4 discs!!!
The phrase "too much of a good thing" comes to mind. I enjoyed the theatrical version (I suppose the romance parts will make it my wife's favorite as well), however, I'm also extremely psyched for the DC.
So it looks like I will have to get both. I've officially gone off the deep end, I forsee myself owning 6 discs devoted to one movie.
blush.gif

[rationalization mode]
If I ask for the theatrical cut as a christmas present, I can buy the DC when it comes out in May, and that means that technically, I've only bought one copy
biggrin.gif

[/rationalization mode]
------------------
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
"Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.
[Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on November 01, 2001 at 08:02 AM]

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
4 discs for one movie!! That's pretty exciting. I wonder how much it'll run?? Any takers...? Regardless, it's a David Prior set of a movie that I liked (and will hopefully like more when MB spices it up), and one that lends itself to a SE better than most. Should be a wonderful edition. Thanks for the heads up, David. Can't wait for your POTA either...
Take care,
Chuck
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
David,
You da MAN!
(Read: Awesome news, and thanks for sharing it with us!)
-Ross
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks