What's new

PEARL HARBOR VCD released! (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
PEARL HARBOR had been released as a 3 disc set packed in a slim jewel case.The film is presented in WS2.35:1 with matrix stereo surround sound.Included in this release,are FAITH HILL's MTV and the making-of featurette.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Since Yang is probably in bed right now, I'll take a stab.

This DVD is probably not exported to Singapore (although I can't imagine why) and VCD is the Home video standard in that part of the world.

Just a thought...

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Yeah but even VHS is better than that 'half baked' product called VCD. The only reason VCD sells and is still around in some parts of the world, is due to the blatant and cheap piracy.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I much prefer VCD to VHS. The picture doesn't degrade, and for stereo presentations, the sound is much cleaner. As for piracy being the only reason VCD is so popular over there, I'd suggest you are mis-informed. Nearly almost all recent movies come out in a legal VCD format, and these sell well. Sites like allvcd.com are entirely based on exporting legal VCD product from Singapore and Malaysia. The Star Wars Trilogy SE, for instance, has a great VCD release, if only in P&S.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
VCD does have its uses. For example it's the only place you can get Fist of Legend in the original Cantonese dialogue in disc form (LDs are OOP) with English subs(OK, they're badly translated, but I digress)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Sites like allvcd.com are entirely based on exporting legal VCD product from Singapore and Malaysia. The Star Wars Trilogy SE, for instance, has a great VCD release, if only in P&S.

I don't see how they can "legally" export them especially since the VCDs themselves say that they cannot be exported out of the country of origin. I'm not sure what law that they infringe on, but I'm sure the Star Wars set said something about not exporting it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how they can "legally" export them especially since the VCDs themselves say that they cannot be exported out of the country of origin. I'm not sure what law that they infringe on, but I'm sure the Star Wars set said something about not exporting it.
Look at my words carefully. I didn't say legally exporting VCD product. I said exporting legal VCD product:). Small but important difference;-).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
AdrianJ, every DVD released in the USA has that on it - does that stop someone in the UK from legally importing it? Nope.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse me for asking, but what's the point in buying PH on VCD when it's available on DVD?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not? The availability of a DVD didn't stop them from releasing it on VHS.
So does that mean we should now offer notices of the availability of VHS tapes in Asia? I'm also confused about the original post. I can see some interest in VCDs when no legit DVD exists - ala the Star Wars films - but when there's a real DVD out there, it makes less sense...

YANG

Screenwriter
On VCD,

Many fellow members do not understand why the format is so popular in asia.In the U.S or E.U video release of a film are mostly limited to VHS and DVD format only.So if consumers wants the best quality,they will choose the DVD release...of course.But here in asia,most people(except the picky ones) are looking for durability rather than visual and audio quality.They can survive with VCDs as long as the releases are cheaper than any other format,such as VHS or laserdisc or DVDs.I guess there are lots of members who still do not know that there are american or european consumers import lower quality VCDs into their markets.Just to bring up an example,the STARWARS products...

On DVD,

If you guys think that R1 DVD is very rare or late into SINGAPORE,you are wrong. JAW had pointed out that if a movie gets a clean cut from the local censors,DVD release of that particular film will be releases.The only thing that will affect the availability of the discs are dates of shipments and BFC administration process.When I get my PEARL HARBOR DVD,U.S consumers had not received it.When the first shipment of PEARL HARBOR R1 DVD sold out,interested consumers had to wait about 2 weeks to lay their hands on the 2nd batch shipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks