Pearl Harbor THX audio test

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

When using the Pearl Harbor test tones to calibrate speakers and sub, what db level would be at reference level? I calibrated at 75 db using the test tones, and it was freakin loud when I watched the movie.

2. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Reference level is 105 db for main channels and 115 db for LFE. Calibrating to 20 db below reference level is standard for Dolby. Too loud? NO problem. Find a volume level you can enjoy. Make a note of the volume setting and calibrate there. The main thing is to make them all match. If it sounds best to you at 60db, great. Sitting through a movie that is miserably loud just so you can say that it was calibrated at "reference level" (reference calibration level) is senseless. Also remember that 85 db in a movie theater with 120 people in it will be much more bearable than it will be in your HT Enjoy!

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Can't say I advise using Pearl Harbour as a calibration disk for getting accurate calibration of your HT system.

Video Essentials or AVIA are the two used most around here.

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Bruce,

Please enlighten us as to why the THX Optimizer is not one

of the best tools to use? Yes Avia and Video Essentials have

"more" test media on the disks but I don't beleive it gets

any more accurate than THX.. The movie is mastered with it

and using the optimizer gaurentees you hear and see the movie

the way it was mastered.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Most likely it only optimizes your HT for that one movie, based on the specific soundstage it was mastered on.

Other DVDs with the THX Optimizer have been reported to calibrate differently.

Dolby sets the calibration standards, not THX. If you want to Optimize for that movie great.

6. MartyK

MartyK Agent

Also, if you look at the fine print at the beginning of the audio tests it states that the test tones are not supposed to be used for calibration.

7. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

TedO,
    As you can see from both THX site quotes below, especially my bolded sections, the system is designed to optimize only for that specific DVD.
    quote from THX site:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "THX Optimode consists of a series of tests that make it easy for you to fine-tune the audio and video performance of your home theater system. But best of all is that the signals used are equal to the final reference levels set during the mastering of each individual release. Thus, your system's performance can be tailored to each specific movie."
    and
    quote from THX site:
    "THX Optimizer consists of a series of tests that make it easier for you to fine-tune the audio and video performance of your home theater system. But best of all is that the signals used are equal to the final reference levels set during the mastering of each individual release. Thus, your system's performance can be tailored to each specific movie."

9. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused. What's the point of having a calibrated system if you have to tailor it for each disc?!

And doesn't this contradict THX's goal? I thought the whole idea was a properly set up HT would reproduce a movie as the Director intended it to be seen and heard. Changing your settings for each DVD seems like it's in direct contradiction of that goal.

I think I'll just stick with my internal test tones.

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Craig,

I tend to agree. Dolby sets the calibration standards anyway not THX. I'm not very happy with most of the "excess baggage" THX always slaps on to it's various money making schemes, this just seems to be another marketing exercise gone astray (sends a confusing message to those just getting into HT).