What's new

Pearl Harbor P&S VHS is still Letterboxed!!! (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Gremlins 2 wasn't widescreen. I know, I had it(and watched it almost every day for like a year)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I remember when Armageddon came out on VHS, the opening credit sequence (first 5-10 minutes of the film) was shown in its OAR. I guess this was done for obvious reasons: i.e. when the letters "A R M A G E D D O N" appear, this would look funny if it were cropped to "M A G E D D". :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Romancing the Stone - during it's credits, if I recall, it didn't got to OAR (no black bars), but it "squeezed" the widescreen shot into the 4x3 frame.

Sort of looked like an Anamorphic DVD on a 4x3 TV when you set the player to 16x9 mode!

Am I remembering this correctly? Maybe this was Cable TV and not the VHS. Anyone else remember this?

Jacob_St

Second Unit
The Color Purple and Gremlins 2 were widescreen only on VHS also. Last Of The Mohicans was pan and scanned to around a 2:1 ratio for it's original vhs release also.

I stand corrected. I knew about The Color Purple but don't really consider that an event movie. Gremlins 2 really surprises me. I don't remember it being in widescreen but I haven't seen it 12 years so my memory is sketchy and could be wrong. The same goes for the Last of the Mohicans.

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think this is any kind of forward progress at all. It's just ridiculous, really. What is the point of cropping the picture? Some people prefer the image to fill their screen. So what the hell is the point of partially cropping the picture? 99% of the people here won't like it because it isn't OAR, and 99% of J6Ps won't like it because it isn't pan and scan. In order to have a compromise, there must at least be some aspects that appeal to both sides. This is just stupid.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
This is a step in the wrong direction. The Insider VHS was a step in the right direction.
Going back and forth from "small black bars" to "big black bars" will further confuse Joe Six-Pack.
Jeff

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Romancing the Stone - during it's credits, if I recall, it didn't got to OAR (no black bars), but it "squeezed" the widescreen shot into the 4x3 frame.
I remember older versions of Die Hard on video and tv were presented similar to this. The image was like a 1.85 anamorphic dvd being played back in anamorphic on a 4x3 tv. The newer versions are pan and scanned the modern way though.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I think this could be a good thing. By definition a compromise means that both sides are giving up something. In this case it qualifies as a compromise. We get partial letterbox, and they get some scenes that are partially panned and scanned. It's a step in the right direction.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
The VHS of Speed was also widescreen during the credits but zoomed in to 1,33:1 as soon as they were over...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks