Pearl Harbor, If they left off...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    If they left off the commentaries, all the other alternate 5.1, 2.0's, subtitles, and also did away with the slow frustrating menus and just kept English DD 5.1 would the Theatrical or the Directors cut fit on one disc? Would you buy this single disc release?

I just can stand with today's technology having to switch discs!

Wes

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Wes,

Not all technology is unlimited. There will always be a wall somewhere.

You think getting up once during a film is tough?

Try four times, five times, or even six times.

Laserdiscs had to have side breaks. If I want to watch Robinson Crusoe on Mars, I have to get up three times during the film. That doesn't include the initial get-up period to put "Side 1" in first.

I prefer quality over quantity myself.

If it takes two discs to properly present a film, so be it.

3. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

4. rutger_s

The problem is that not a lot of consumers would be happy with limited choices.

I love the presentation of Apocalypse Now Redux. The 202 min. film fits on a DVD-9 since no other soundtracks are available. However, some people are quite miffed that it does not have any real supplement.

You could fit Pearl Harbor on a single disc with one soundtrack option and it would be a quality presentation.

However, David Prior who produced Pearl Harbor: 60th Anniversary Edition & is producing Pearl Harbor: Vista Series consulted with director Michael Bay.

Michael Bay wanted the additional dts & Dolby Headphone soundtracks. For the Vista Series, Bay also agreed to include a new intermission sequence with a score.

Also, even if Pearl Harbor: 60th Anniversary Edition did fit on one disc, it'd still be a two disc set. The two documentaries would occupy the second disc with trailers. And Pearl Harbor: Vista Series would still be at four discs.

Unless you of course, you want to drop the added-value materials.

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    The extra bonus matirial is already out there on the other releases so its not like they are cheating the world of this stuff! I would like a 1 disc 1 side movie only version with just DD 5.1 which on my system Pearl sounds better to me than the DTS track anyhow.

I understand the LD several disc thing but today with DVD we should not have to put up with switching.

Wes

6. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Wes, the Director's Cut will include new supplements, hence the two additional discs, totally 4 discs in all.

The notion that people get annoyed by getting up in the middle of a 3 hour plus film is odd to me. To each his own. All I know is I prefer quality picture, no trade offs.

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

9. rutger_s

Luke,

Thank you for pointing out my typo.

I meant to say: "I prefer quality over quantity myself."

And...

You could fit the film on one disc with just a Dolby Digital English soundtrack.

Heck if you drop the bit-rate enough and stick with a 192kbs Dolby Surround soundtrack, you could feasibly fit the film and one of the 45 minute documentaries on one disc.

Personally, I'd rather have a nice bit-rate with some good soundtrack options rather then a lower bit-rate and a single soundtrack option.

10. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor