What's new

'PEARL HARBOR' dvd, 'Dolby Headphone Track' SO COOL! (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
Roger,
Thanks again for the info. I doubt I ever would have thought of turning of the 3D sound on my own.:emoji_thumbsup:
By the way I really hope that you continue to put out DHP tracks because I don't have a 5.1 set up and I usually listen to my DVD's with headphones anyway so this feature is a HUGE plus for me.
P.S. It looks like I might have to upgrade my headphones after all, You guys (or whoever) did such a great on the mix my HPs can't take the agressive bass. :eek: Any suggestions on under $100 HPs that can take the bass? :)
Thanks again.

Rob Peloski

Agent
I notice that some Sony DVD players (including my own) have this Virtual Surround Headphones mode on them. I wonder how it compares to something like Dolby Headphone done on the fly with hardware.

I'd try it but I don't have any good headphones here.

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Sony's MDR-DS5100 DD/DTS headphones two months ago. They're really great. You folks should check 'em out.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
>>By the way I really hope that you continue to put out DHP tracks because I don't have a 5.1 set up and I usually listen to my DVD's with headphones anyway so this feature is a HUGE plus for me.>I notice that some Sony DVD players (including my own) have this Virtual Surround Headphones mode on them. I wonder how it compares to something like Dolby Headphone done on the fly with hardware.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I am sure that my review is long forgotten....

Earlier this year, I was given a DOLBY HEADPHONE

demo DVD disc by Dolby Labs.

I took it home, and with an ordinary pair of

headphones, I listened to a demo using this new

technology.

To say I was impressed doesn't even nearly describe

my experience. I was sitting watching television

with ordinary headsets, and it felt as if I was

listening to my Home Theater speakers. There was

a great sense of 5.1 direction with sounds in front

and in in back of me.

I raved to Brent Butterworth (Dolby Labs) about

this technology. I even pressed the owner of

OUTLAW AUDIO to incorporate this technology into

their future line of receivers. It did not seem

at the time OUTLAW was overly interested.

There are many that live in apartments or dwellings

where sound cannot be played at high volumes. Using

DOLBY HEADPHONE would allow absolute privacy and let

the viewer enjoy 5.1 sound without any expensive

upgrades.

I am really happy that this thread was brought out.

I have been talking to everyone about DOLBY HEADPHONE

this past year. I think it's one of the biggest

innovations in Home Theater audio as it is something

that is very economic and useful to those that have

audio level restrictions in their Home Theater.

It's my hope that either more studios incorporate

DOLBY HEADPHONE software in their discs -or- that

more manufacturers include DOLBY HEAPHONE as a feature

on receivers and DVD players -or- that Dolby Labs gets

a small affordable converter box out to market that

can be attached to any device to make it DOLBY HEAPHONE

compatable.

Mark E J

Second Unit
Ivan,

How much are the Sony MDR-DS5100 DD/DTS HPs? Also are they those multi-channel HPs with DD/DTS decoders built in that I keep hearing about?

Roger,

On the subject of DD/DTS HP's, what do you think about this product? Are they really full 5.1 and DTS compatible? Are they worth the 3-4 hundred dollar price tag?

Ron,

I missed your review but I have to agree completely with your comments. I am among those who simply do not have the option of a full home theater so advances like this are very important to me. I certainly hope this disc spreads awarness of this feature and it very soon becomes standard in recievers and players.

I would by a new reciever or player in a heartbeat with a feature that would convert all 5.1 tracks to DHP. To go back and listen to all of my 5.1 DVDs and hear them like the PH disc would certainly be worth an up grade.

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, I paid approx. 250 bucks for 'em here in Croatia, which means that they're probably even cheaper in the US.

are they those multi-channel HPs with DD/DTS decoders built in that I keep hearing about?
Yes, they are.

Try listening to The Phantom Menace or Saving Private Ryan and you'll be amazed.

With these HPs, I'm finally able to listen to DTS and it really sounds great.

John Torrez

Second Unit
Mr. Dressler, I was referring to movies that don't have a DH track and need a program to convert the DD5.1 to DH. I just heard from someone who has tried it on his pc using PowerDvd and he said that converting a DD5.1 track to DH sounded muffled on the movies he tried and that the stereo mix was very much clearer. He also went on to add that the DH track on the PH dvd didn't sound muffled at all. Any insight on this? Could it be the program he was using?

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
>>How much are the Sony MDR-DS5100 DD/DTS HPs? Also are they those multi-channel HPs with DD/DTS decoders built in that I keep hearing about?

Roger,

On the subject of DD/DTS HP's, what do you think about this product? Are they really full 5.1 and DTS compatible? Are they worth the 3-4 hundred dollar price tag?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks