What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Pearl (Mia Goth) reprises her role as the murderous housewife from X, tho this time as a prequel about her early adulthood. About the same age Maxine (Mia Goth) is during X, and centered around the same compound that X was filmed on.
All Pearl wants to do is get out of her lonely existence on her family farm.  Her father (Matthew Sunderland) is crippled by the Spanish Flu, her mother (Tandi Wright) is an overbearing immigrant afraid to leave the house because she fears what the Americans will think of a German in their midst, and her husband Howard (Alistair Sewell) has volunteered to go off to war despite having an easy way out of serving.  Her only respites are dancing for the bigger animals in the barn and killing off smaller ones and feeding them to her pet crocodile, Thelda.  A third respite comes when she can sneak away to the movies and dream of dancing on the big screen, a passion that is encouraged by a chance encounter with the projectionist (David Corenswet), whom she...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yep and thanks for the review, Sam. I enjoyed both this and X. The scene towards the end (to keep it spoiler free) where Pearl/Mia Goth delivers a minutes-long monologue is fantastic. This isn't meant as a backhanded compliment but I didn't realize that Goth was that good of an actor because it isn't easy to be the only thing on screen (with no cuts) for that long.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sam — I thought X was interesting, and enjoy West’s work. My have to give a BD a spin. Thanks for the honest review!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Apologies Sam, but when I saw this review, I thought it was for the 1978 miniseries Pearl starring Angie Dickinson. I guess that shows my level of awareness!

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I streamed this off AppleTV. I thought X was fun, but Pearl is exceptional, and Goth is outstanding in it. If Pearl were not a genre film, she would be receiving awards consideration.

I hope A24 or Criterion considers release a UHD set of the trilogy once MaXXXine releases. I double-dipped on Midsommar and Uncut Gems, so I am going to hold off on the Pearl Blu-ray for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks