What's new

Peanuts on DVD... Where are the last two movies? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The correct ratio for all 4 movies was 1.85:1. They were animated in 1.33:1 like many animated films are/were but not intended to be seen that way they were intended to be seen 1.85:1 so there was lots of dead space on the top and bottom. The DVDs are not cropped they are matted with the mattes that were intended by the creators of the film when it was made. Many of us got used to the 1.33:1 versions because we grew up with them on TV. Best option would be to include both versions to make everyone happy. I think the fullscreen presentation takes away the movie feel and makes them feel like they were made for TV cheapening the whole effect. Especially since I saw the last 2 at the theaters.

Kirben said:
The original aspect ratio of these older Peanuts movie was 4:3, they were mattered when shown in theaters. I expect the upcoming DVD release of Race for your Life, Charlie Brown will be cropped to widescreen, just like the previous DVD releases in the USA.

A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Comes Home are at least available in their correct aspect ratio on DVD in Australia and the UK.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Unlike a film, they didn't waste their time animating stuff that wasn't intended to be seen. It's there precisely because it was intended to be seen after its theatrical run, on television.

It's there because they were future proofing something they felt held value afterwards on tv.

Hopefully both options are present. :)

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
No, the original aspect ratio is the aspect ratio they were actually animated for. Companies didn't go to the huge expense of animating extra areas, that were never meant to be seen. I'm tired of people stating the incorrect aspect ratio, based on a theater screening.

The intended for widescreen part never makes any sense either, because every screenshot comparison I have seen of animated movies in this situation, always shows scenes which are too cramped and clearly meant to be screen full frame. Disney movies from the 1960s & 1970s are the perfect example, see screenshot comparisons over at Blu-Ray.com.

There are far too many animated movie and series which have flawed DVD releases, due to the incorrect aspect ratio been used, and very little chance of re-releases. With many animated movies cropped from full frame to widescreen, and more recent cartoon series cropped from widescreen to full frame.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Bottom line is US theaters stopped using 1.33:1 after 1954 and animators made the movies for widescreen only. They animated in full frame because it was cheaper not because they wanted it to be seen that way. There is no big expense it was a cost savings measure. Grass fields at the bottom and skies at the top of the screen are not exactly animated scenes they are a back drop created to be animated over and matting out the top and bottom of this is not wasting anything significant. The Disney movies are a perfect example they were never meant to be seen 1.33:1 but people who grew up watching them on TV and VHS are used to them that way so they think it is correct even though the Disney animated films of the 60's and 70's were never intended to be seen on TV, only to be re-released to theaters over and over. The movies only look cramped when people take screen shots that freeze frame an image and do not accurately display what it looks like when the picture is moving. I agree cropping from widescreen to fullscreen is bad. But these movies are not cropped they are matted from fullscreen and the big difference is matted is what they were intended to be seen as when the animators composed them so they framed the shots accordingly with extra room on the top and bottom. Showing them in Full Screen destroys the scope that the animators intended the film to have.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While you quite possibly have a point with Disney (Although I wouldn't be so certain, didn't Disney sometimes split movies up and air them on their tv show?), I'm sure that tv airings were something they were keeping in mind with these Peanuts movies.

I don't see how this was cheaper. And if you watch Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown, you'll see a lot more than just basic stuff like sky that's cut off.

Regardless, I hope they frame it better. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, they didn't get it right the first time around on DVD. That black border you see during the credits, necessary to maintain their selected aspect ratio while ensuring that names aren't cut off, is proof positive that they screwed up.

If it's widescreen only, I'd be more accepting if it was at least correct. But I still think the only solution here is to include both presentations.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Also, they wanted to make sure that the entire screen had animation, in case the projectionist framed the film improperly...animating in full-screen protected this.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I always felt that SNOOPY COMES HOME was the weakest for the four - perhaps it being too Snoopy focused (and it has the lowest Box Office of the four)

On the other hand, RACE FOR YOUR LIFE, CHARLIE BROWN is perhaps the 2nd best Family Animated feature of the 1970's, just behind THE RESCUERS. Fun Story,A clean Animated look and visually beautiful. Not to mention a fresh, original good score that was just not a reworking of TV cues.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown are my favorites. I think that's possibly because they seemed to be frequently aired on tv, where as I rarely saw the other two.

I especially love the music in Snoopy Come Home. The Sherman brothers score for that music is excellent.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Am I the only one who wishes the 1985 animated version of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown had been done as a theatrical feature instead of an hour-long TV special?Another vote for Snoopy Come Home having the best songs out of any of the four features.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Snoopy Come Home is my favourite out of all of them and the songs are great. It's the most touching and heartbreaking one. With Snoopy constantly being banned from everywhere he goes and not seeing Peppermint Patty at the beach, the little girl being in the hospital and feeling down because of it and not to mention the part where he gives all of his stuff away. I can really feel the characters pain throughout.

I only own the 60s and 70s collections and they're probably the only ones I will buy. I don't think I've seen any of the later specials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks